Calculating Shear Stress: Solving for μ = ρv in 8-41 Equation

In summary, calculating shear stress involves solving for the coefficient of viscosity (μ) using the equation μ = ρv, where ρ represents the density of the fluid and v is the velocity gradient. This equation is commonly used in fluid mechanics to determine the resistance of a fluid to shear deformation. By solving for μ, engineers and scientists are able to understand the behavior of fluids and make predictions about their flow and movement.
hotjohn

Homework Statement

how to make μ = ρ v as in 8-41 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since μ = viscocity , it has unit =( kgms^-2)s m^-2 , = kg(m^-1)(s^-1)
ρ v = (kgm^-3)(ms^-1 ) = kg(m^-2)(s^-1) , the unit for LHS and RHS are not the same , can someone help pls ?

Attachments

• 0012.jpg
    0012.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
hotjohn said:

Homework Statement

how to make μ = ρ v as in 8-41 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since μ = viscocity , it has unit =( kgms^-2)s m^-2 , = kg(m^-1)(s^-1)
ρ v = (kgm^-3)(ms^-1 ) = kg(m^-2)(s^-1) , the unit for LHS and RHS are not the same , can someone help pls ?
You've mixed up lower case v for velocity with the lower case Greek letter nu (##\nu##), which is used to represent the kinematic viscosity of a fluid.

The kinematic viscosity is defined ##\nu = \frac{\mu}{\rho}##

See this article for a discussion of the units:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

SteamKing said:
You've mixed up lower case v for velocity with the lower case Greek letter nu (##\nu##), which is used to represent the kinematic viscosity of a fluid.

The kinematic viscosity is defined ##\nu = \frac{\mu}{\rho}##

See this article for a discussion of the units:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
ok , can you pls explain how the author get the formula of viscous sublayer ? after substitute u= sqrt rt (τ / ρ ) into 8-41 , I have u = ( v / y ) sqrt rt (τ / ρ ) , hwo to get the same form as in 8-42 ?

Attachments

• 0013.jpg
    0013.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 350
Note that ##\sqrt{\tau_w/\rho}## is defined to be a fictitious velocity ##u##- (called "friction velocity"). (I'm not sure I got the notation right. It looks like there is a subscript "-" on the ##u## for the fictitious velocity. But it is hard for me to read.) See discussion below equation 8-41.
##u##- is not the same as the actual velocity ##u##.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Note that ##\sqrt{\tau_w/\rho}## is defined to be the "fictitious velocity" ##u##-. (I'm not sure I got the notation right. It looks like there is a subscript "-" on the ##u## for the fictitious velocity. But it is hard for me to read.) See discussion below equation 8-41.
##u##- is not the same as the actual velocity ##u##.
u / ##u##- , i haver u [ sqrt rt ( p / т ) ] , how to get the same form as in the 8-42 ?

Solve ##u##- = ##\sqrt{\tau/\rho}## for ##\tau##. Then sustitute this expression for ##\tau## into equation 8-41. You should then be able to rearrange it to get 8-42.

TSny said:
Solve ##u##- = ##\sqrt{\tau/\rho}## for ##\tau##. Then sustitute this expression for ##\tau## into equation 8-41. You should then be able to rearrange it to get 8-42.
hwo to do that ? I have tried , but didn't get the same form ,

Attachments

• 0014.jpg
    0014.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 365
hotjohn said:
hwo to do that ? I have tried , but didn't get the same form ,
Some of your cancellations are wrong. ##\frac x{\sqrt x}## is not ##\frac 1{\sqrt x}##

Likes hotjohn

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two surfaces slide against each other in opposite directions.

What is the equation for calculating shear stress?

The equation for calculating shear stress is μ = ρv in 8-41, where μ represents the coefficient of viscosity, ρ is the density of the fluid, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

How do you solve for μ in the shear stress equation?

To solve for μ, you can rearrange the equation to μ = τ/ (ρv), where τ is the shear stress. You can then plug in the values for τ, ρ, and v to calculate the coefficient of viscosity.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in the shear stress equation?

The units for μ are typically measured in Pa·s (Pascal seconds), τ in Pa (Pascals), ρ in kg/m³ (kilograms per cubic meter), and v in m/s (meters per second).

What factors can affect shear stress?

The coefficient of viscosity, density of the fluid, and velocity of the fluid are the main factors that can affect shear stress. Other factors may include temperature, surface roughness, and the presence of additives or impurities in the fluid.