Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sheet Metal Forces

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Hi I am a Mechanical Engineering final year student from India.
    I need to calculate the forces(axial,tangential and radial) on the tool and the workpiece in the sheet metal spinning operation.

Is there someway to find it theoretically or using any software?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    The only thing that comes to mind is by using SolidWorks. You could see if your school has this program available at your disposal because it costs quite a bit. You would first need to model extremely precisely getting all the dimensions, material selections, etc. correct. Then use the Simulation package that is an add-in for SolidWorks to simulate the forces seen by an applied load or whatever is occurring to that particular tool and/or workpiece. Below is a link that shows you a video on how to simulate. I apologize if you knew about this already and sorry for wasting your time. Best of luck!

p.s. make sure you use a pretty fast and powerful computer when performing the simulation run function because it takes quite a bit of time otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSnGkpRITY&feature=related

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot :), will try that and tell you...

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
    you could also see is ANSYS would do the job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook