1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sheet with Hole

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    What is the electric field at a point P, a distance h = 29.9 cm above an infinite sheet of charge, with a charge distribution of 2.29 C/m^2 and a hole of radius r = 4.49 cm with P directly above the center of the hole, as shown in the figure?

Equations used:
    Edisk= (-σ/2ε)[1-(z/sqrt(z^2 + r^2))]
    Esheet= +σ/2ε
    Enet= ƩE

I converted all the cm into m and plugged the numbers in. I got 3.64e10 N/C for the disk and 1.30e11 N/C for the sheet. I added the two together but my answer was wrong so i tried subtracting and still didn't get the right answer. I thought adding them would've been correct. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, adding your expressions together is correct. You are essentially considering the E field at the point P due to the sheet with surface charge density +σ and subtracting the E field due to the imaginary disk of negative surface charge density -σ.

Alternatively, just subtract the E field due to a disk from the E field due to the plane.
    In your end expression, take the limit z>>R, and see if your result makes sense.

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Disk and sheet should have opposite signs (as removing stuff from a sheet reduces the electric field), so your formulas look right and one of your resulting values should have a minus sign. Add both, and you get a value smaller than for the sheet alone.

Did you check your values with WolframAlpha, Matlab or something similar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted