Shelf Life of Jet Fuel JP-5: How to Predict and Extend Shelf Life?

In summary, the shelf life of JP-5 jet fuel varies from 4 to 7 years, depending on the way it is used. Factors such as peroxide or gum formation may not accurately predict the shelf life. Other variants of JP fuels have been stored for much longer periods of time. The limiting factor for shelf life could be combustion properties or the emergence of fungus or contaminants. Further research and notes on this topic are needed.
dghwang
What is the shelf life of jet fuel especial for JP-5? How to predict it?
My homework ask me to write topic about this but I don't have any
idea. Is that correct for the 4 years of the shelf life of JP-5?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,let me give the answer:
4yrs and 7 yrs depend on the way you used.
The way from peroxide or gum formation may be not correct because both
stabilities are quite stable.

I am a bit late on this, but we have stored other variants of JP fuels for much longer. I would have suggested that you define what your shelf life limiting factor would be. In the case of combustion properties, i.e. net heat of combustion, flash point, etc...or as you you stated by the emergence of fugus or other contaminants.

I would be very interested to see some of your notes on this and any references you came up with. I am always in the hunt for more information on fuels.

We have stored JP-5 fuels for 13 years. From the analysis,the shelf life of JP-5 is around 7 years (by the FP informations observed in these years).

1. What is the shelf life of Jet fuel JP-5?

Jet fuel JP-5 has a shelf life of approximately 18-36 months, depending on storage conditions and additives used.

2. How is the shelf life of Jet fuel JP-5 determined?

The shelf life of Jet fuel JP-5 is determined by conducting laboratory tests that assess the chemical and physical properties of the fuel over time.

3. How can the shelf life of Jet fuel JP-5 be extended?

The shelf life of Jet fuel JP-5 can be extended by storing it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and contaminants. Additionally, the use of stabilizing additives can also help prolong its shelf life.

4. What happens if Jet fuel JP-5 exceeds its shelf life?

If Jet fuel JP-5 exceeds its shelf life, it may start to degrade and lose its effectiveness as a fuel. This can lead to engine malfunctions and potential safety hazards.

5. Can Jet fuel JP-5 be used after its shelf life has expired?

In most cases, Jet fuel JP-5 should not be used after its shelf life has expired. It is recommended to always use fresh, properly stored fuel to ensure optimal performance and safety.