Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers

In summary, the conversation is discussing the placement of DERESONATING BAFFLES in a Shell and Tube heat Exchanger and the thermal properties of WHITE LIQUOR used in the pulp industry. The participants mention the location of the baffles and the effects of flow and pressure on the shellside. They also discuss the need to calculate the thermal properties of WHITE LIQUOR due to its varying content percentages.
jeewana
Hi,

Anyone knows how to place the DERESONATING BAFFLES in a Shell and Tube heat Exchanger? How does it look likes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jeewana said:
Hi,

Anyone knows how to place the DERESONATING BAFFLES in a Shell and Tube heat Exchanger? How does it look likes?

I am sure some engineer can locate the areas that are most prone to resonating, or even just someone with a stethescope - that is the place for the interiour baffles ... the ones I am familiar with lie within and to parallel the tube bundle.

I have also seen anti-swurrl (is that a word?) baffles placed near the tube inlet and outlets. If they are within the bundle they have to be removed for maintenence on the tube sheets etc - if inside the piping leading to the exchanger, not.

Other than that - differences in flow and pressure on the shellside can make a big difference.

Can anyone help me to find the the thermal properties (Density,Heat capacity,viscosity,thermal conductivity) of WHITE LIQUOR used in pulp industry?

[WHITE LIQUOR is a mixture of NaOH,Na2S,Na2CO3.]

Does this help? I think this is something that you'll need to calculate yourself.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WHM-4MBJK4C-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1174338322&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=02b5229bb0f9b771161a241ec0872a5d

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, As you said this should be calculated since the percentages of its content varies. However I was expecting some typical values for a design.

Thanks again.

croghan27 said:
I am sure some engineer can locate the areas that are most prone to resonating, or even just someone with a stethescope - that is the place for the interiour baffles ... the ones I am familiar with lie within and to parallel the tube bundle.

I have also seen anti-swurrl (is that a word?) baffles placed near the tube inlet and outlets. If they are within the bundle they have to be removed for maintenence on the tube sheets etc - if inside the piping leading to the exchanger, not.

Other than that - differences in flow and pressure on the shellside can make a big difference.

Thanks for the reply. It helped me to get some idea.
Jeewana

1. What is a shell and tube heat exchanger?

A shell and tube heat exchanger is a type of heat transfer device used to transfer thermal energy between two different fluids. It consists of a series of tubes enclosed within a cylindrical shell. One fluid flows through the tubes while the other flows through the space surrounding the tubes, allowing for heat to be exchanged between the two fluids.

2. How does a shell and tube heat exchanger work?

In a shell and tube heat exchanger, one fluid flows through the tubes, while the other flows through the shell. The tubes are typically made of a highly conductive material, such as copper or stainless steel, and are designed to increase the surface area available for heat transfer. As the fluids flow through the tubes and shell, heat is transferred from the warmer fluid to the cooler fluid, resulting in a temperature change in both fluids.

3. What are the advantages of using a shell and tube heat exchanger?

Shell and tube heat exchangers have several advantages, including high heat transfer efficiency, compact size, and versatility in handling a wide range of operating conditions and fluid types. They are also relatively easy to maintain and can be designed for high-pressure and high-temperature applications.

4. What are the common applications of shell and tube heat exchangers?

Shell and tube heat exchangers are commonly used in industries such as chemical, oil and gas, power generation, and HVAC. They are often used for heating or cooling processes, such as in refrigeration systems, heat recovery systems, and air conditioning systems. They are also used for heat transfer in various industrial processes, such as food and beverage processing, pharmaceutical production, and wastewater treatment.

5. How do you choose the right shell and tube heat exchanger for your application?

When selecting a shell and tube heat exchanger, factors such as the type and properties of the fluids, desired temperature change, flow rates, pressure and temperature ratings, and space constraints should be considered. It is important to consult with a heat exchanger expert to determine the most suitable design and materials for your specific application.