Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell element contact problem

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hello All,

I am facing some problem while defining contact between shell elements. My problem is as below.

1. Two thin layers (thickness of 10^-5 m each) of composite material are bonded to a solid material like foam.
    2. A third layer of the same thickness comes in contact for a certain period of time. This third layer is hot at a temperature of 232 deg celsius and there is a surface to surface contact.
    3. I know the thermal contact conductance value between the hot layer and the two composite layers.

I have modeled this problem in Ansys classical. I created an area to define the hot layer and a volume which is offset from this area by the hot layer thickness to define the two bonded layers in contact wit a solid foam (Meshing area attached to the volume with shell elements and then sweeping the area by VSWEEP command) I am using SECOFFSET as bottom plane for the two bonded layers (as it is also bonded to a solid material to use the Paint option) and top plane for third hot layer. The problem while solving is that I cannot see any heat transfer from the hot layer to the two bonded layers.

Am I making some mistakes in modeling the problem?

Please help.

Thank You.

Sincerely,
    Devesh

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted