1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell Method Integral Setup

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the shell method, set up and evaluate the integral that gives the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region about the x-axis.
    y = x3 bounded by y = 8, and x = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    volume of a solid revolved around x-axis using the shell method.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to find the height h(y) of some arbitrary shell and the average radius p(y) of all shells multiply them together and then integrate them, which I am fairly confident I can do so I am not going to worry about that at this time. For my height, h(y), I have a distance of "y" and I understand that. But the average radius p(y) is what I do not understand, the answer says that they are just multiplying the height by x(y), y1/3, which they do because they are integrating wrt y. But geometrically, I would have thought the average radius would be (8 - y1/3).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Are you working out of the Larson book, by chance?
    You got it mixed up, I think. y = 8 is a horizontal line, and it serves as the upper limit of integration. Your representative rectangles are parallel to the axis of revolution. h(y) is the distance from the y-axis to the curve, so it's actually y1/3. p(y) is the distance from the rectangle to the x-axis, which is y.

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    I understand it now, thank you. I am working out of larson 9e, is there another text book for calculus that you can suggest would help teach the course better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook