• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Shell Method Setup

• Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date

Homework Statement

use the shell method to find the volume of the solid given by y = 4x - x2 y = x2, about the line x = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find a height and a radius multiply them together and integrate them over some bounded region, fair enough. My functions intersect at x = 2 and x = 0, my bounds have been set. I have to find my height, which I believe to be "x", and my radius. I believe that to be my top function, 4x - x2 - my bottom function, x2 so I multiply them within my integrand to get 4x2 - 2x3 after integrating I get 4x3/3 - x4 / 2. Evaluating this expression at x = 2 I get 32/3 - 24/3 multiplied by 2pi to get 16pi/3. My book tells me it is 16pi so I went back and looked at this a few times and did the calculation over and i'm getting the same answer and i'm not sure where i'm getting this wrong with my geometry.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

use the shell method to find the volume of the solid given by y = 4x - x2 y = x2, about the line x = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find a height and a radius multiply them together and integrate them over some bounded region, fair enough. My functions intersect at x = 2 and x = 0, my bounds have been set. I have to find my height, which I believe to be "x", and my radius. I believe that to be my top function, 4x - x2 - my bottom function, x2 so I multiply them within my integrand to get 4x2 - 2x3 after integrating I get 4x3/3 - x4 / 2. Evaluating this expression at x = 2 I get 32/3 - 24/3 multiplied by 2pi to get 16pi/3. My book tells me it is 16pi so I went back and looked at this a few times and did the calculation over and i'm getting the same answer and i'm not sure where i'm getting this wrong with my geometry.
Your height is 4x-2x^2. Your radius isn't x. You are rotating around x=4. What is it?

*sigh* 4-x

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper