1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell Method (Volume)

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    Please help! How do I do this problem?

Using the method of cylindrical shells, find the volume generated by rotating the region the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.

y=(x-1)^(1/2), y=0, x=5; about y = 3

Please tell me how to set up the integral! Any help is MUCH appreciated.

So far I have Integral from 0 to 2 of (3-(y^2+1))*y dy I know that isn't right, because I am not getting the right answer! The book says that it is 24pi.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Do you know what each shell looks like?

The cross section of each shell is a long, narrow, flat rectangle, whose long dimension is parallel to the x-axis and stretches from the point where x = y^2 + 1 to the point where x = 5. It is parametrized by y. The shell itself is that rectangle rotated around the line y = 3. Ignore the small vertical width of the rectangle for a minute (which is dy) so that the shell is just like a horizontal tube with no thickness. What is the area of the outer surface of this tube? It has a radius--the radius is 3 - (y^2 + 1). So what is its circumference? What is its length?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?