1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell Method

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1

squelch

Gold Member

This is from a physics course, but felt more appropriate to post here.

I just want some sanity checking on my procedure, since I'm not this far in my calculus course yet but am having to work through it anyway for physics.

I have no idea how to approach part c, not even an inkling of where to begin. If all you give me are Google search terms, then I'll be happy.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylinder of radius R and length L is given.

a) Use the shell method to write the infinitesimal volume DV
    b) Integrate dv to obtain the volume of the cylinder.
    c) The density of the cylinder is given by [itex]\rho = {\rho _0}(1 - \frac{r}{R})[/itex] where [itex]{\rho _0}[/itex] is constant.

2. Relevant equations

NA.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) A cylinder can be divided into infinitesimal shells of height L and width dr. Therefore, the infinitesimal volume is given by:
    [tex]dv = 2\pi LRdr[/tex]

b) This infinitesimal volume can then be integrated as:
    [tex]V = \int_0^R {2\pi LRdr = 2\pi LR\int_0^R {dr = 2\pi LR(\left. r \right|_0^R) = 2\pi L{R^2}} } [/tex]

c) No idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not quite. The radius of the shell is ##r##, not ##R##, so ##dv = 2 \pi r L\,dr##.

Recall that density is mass per unit volume.

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3
    The idea is to add the infinitesimal volumes of all the shells, right? But doesn't every shell have a different radius? In the equation you wrote in a) you used capital R indicating that all shells have equal radius. If you correct this, you will easily get the correct answer in b). Additionally, by giving you the density it probably wants you to find the mass of the cylinder. Doesn't the problem statement ask for this explicitly?

5. Sep 7, 2014 #4

squelch

Gold Member

So, by way of correction,

a) A cylinder can be divided into infinitesimal shells of height L and width dr a distance r from the center axis. Therefore, the infinitesimal volume is given by:
    [tex]dv = 2\pi Lrdr[/tex]

b) This infinitesimal volume can then be integrated as:
    [tex]V = \int_0^R {2\pi Lrdr = 2\pi L\int_0^R {rdr = 2\pi L(\frac{1}{2}\left. {{r^2}} \right|_0^R) = \pi L{R^2}} } [/tex]

Might have caught that if I looked at the given formula for the volume of a cylinder a bit more carefully, but what can you do.

6. Sep 7, 2014 #5

squelch

Gold Member

I just noticed that I didn't include that c) was asking for the mass of the cylinder. My mistake.

Attempting to solve for the mass of the cylinder:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \rho = \frac{{{m_c}}}{{\pi L{R^2}}} = {\rho _0}\left( {1 - \frac{r}{R}} \right)\\
    {m_c} = {\rho _0} \cdot (\pi L{R^2}) \cdot \left( {1 - \frac{r}{R}} \right)\\
    {m_c} = {\rho _0} \cdot (\pi LR) \cdot \left( {R - r} \right)
    \end{array}[/tex]

7. Sep 7, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What is ##r## supposed to represent in your calculation of the mass?

8. Sep 7, 2014 #7

squelch

Gold Member

It was given as part of the density equation in the problem, so I wasn't sure how to work it away.

9. Sep 7, 2014 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're being told that the density varies with the distance from the axis. You can't use ##\rho = m/V## for the cylinder taken as a whole because that only holds for constant density. For an infinitesimal shell, however…

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted