1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell Model Spin-parity

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    I am confused how to determine the spin / parity of excited states.

In my textbook, one of the questions states:

The ground state of the radioisotope 17-F-9 has spin-parity j_P = (5/2)+ and the first excited state has j_P=(1/2)-. Suggest two possible configurations for the latter state.

Here is the answer in the back:

The configuration of the ground state is:

protons: [tex](1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2})^2(1d_\frac{5}{2})[/tex]

To get j_P= (1/2)-, one could promote a p_1/2 proton to the d_5/2 shell giving

protons: [tex](1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^4(1p_\frac{1}{2})^{-1}(1d_\frac{5}{2})^2[/tex]

Then by the pairing hypothesis, the two d_5/2 protons could give j_P = 0+ so that the total spin-parity would be determined by the unpaired p_1/2 neutron (j_P=(1/2)-).

Alternatively, one of the p_3/2 protons could be promoted to the d_5/2 shell, giving

protons: protons: [tex](1s_\frac{1}{2})^2(1p_\frac{3}{2})^{-1}(1p_\frac{1}{2})^2(1d_\frac{5}{2})^2[/tex]

and the two d_5/2 protons could combine to give j_P = 2+, so that when this combines with the single unpaired j_P = 3/2- proton, the overall spin is j_P = 1/2-

So here are two things I am confused about:

Firstly, how can the two d_5/2 protons combine to have j_P = 0+ in the first case and j_P = 2+ in the second case?

Secondly, how is it that in the second case, the spin-parity ends up being j_P = 1/2-. Is it that the parities of the two are multiplied (ie the parity of the two d_5/2 protons is 1+ and the parity of the unpaired p_3/2 proton is 1-, giving an overall parity of 1-, and then the spin is 2 - 3/2 = 1/2? I don't really get how that works).

If I can understand this I may be able to even get started on the homework.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you have already made this thread in Nuclear- and particle physics section. Double posting is not ok!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?