Shell Model: Filling g9/2 Shell w/ 5 Protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the filling of a g9/2 shell in the shell model and the assumptions needed to calculate the state of minimal energy for the last neutron. The Pauli principle dictates the first four protons to be in anti-parallel pairs, but the last can be either up or down. The remaining conversation delves into seeking help and discussing the reverse process of determining the total spin of the nucleus based on the nucleon configuration.
eXorikos

Homework Statement

How do 5 protons fill a g9/2 shell in the shell model?
There are 10 spots in the g9/2 shell.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Pauli principle dictates the first four to be in anti-parallel pairs. But the last can be either up or down. Am I missing something or is this really all there is to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will try to go a little further in hope that someone picks it up and can help me.
I think I need to find the state of minimal energy for the last neutron. What are the assumptions I need to make to calculate this? Is it good enough to assume the complete independent particle model?

I really could use some help on this one. I can do the opposite, get total spin of nucleus in the groundstate by the nucleonconfiguration, but the reverse is not so clear for me...

I am still wondering btw... :p

1. How many protons are in the g9/2 shell of the shell model?

The g9/2 shell can hold a maximum of 9 protons, but in this scenario, there are only 5 protons present.

2. What is the significance of filling the g9/2 shell with 5 protons in the shell model?

Filling the g9/2 shell with 5 protons indicates that the atom is in a stable state, as this shell is typically filled last in the shell model.

3. What other shells are present in the shell model besides g9/2?

There are several other shells present in the shell model, including s, p, d, and f shells. Each shell has a different capacity for holding electrons.

4. Can the g9/2 shell hold more than 5 protons?

Yes, the g9/2 shell can hold up to 9 protons. However, when there are only 5 protons present, it indicates that the atom is in a stable state.

5. How does the filling of the g9/2 shell affect the chemical properties of the atom?

The filling of the g9/2 shell does not significantly affect the chemical properties of the atom. This shell is located far from the atom's nucleus and does not play a significant role in chemical bonding.