Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shell modeling in ANSYS

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    I have been modeling a sandwich box in ANSYS using layered SHELL281-elements, which is somewhat new to me. The box is modeled with rounded edges, and it is affected by a positive pressure on one side and suction on the opposite side. This way the force is in the negative x-direction on both sides.

My question is related to the xy-shear strains, which vary from positive to negative though the thickness of my shell. I am guessing that this should not be the case, but I cannot get my head around, why this is the result I am getting.

Similarly I have tried to model a slender beam using the same element in order to investigate, what I am doing wrong and to compare with a solid model. In this case, however, my xy-shear strains are zero. This makes me think, if it is a good idea to model a slender beam with shell elements, and if the shear strain results from the shell-element are trustworthy? When observing the first-order-shear deformation theory they should at least make some sense.

Of course my first priority is to get a good estimate for the shear strains in the box, but I would also like to understand, what I am doing wrong with the beam. I hope someone with a little more experience in layered shell-modeling can help me.
    Best regards

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted