Shells & Subshells: Learn How to Understand It!

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about understanding shells and subshells in school. The person tried to search for information on Google but had no luck. Another person suggested a helpful website and recommended a book for further explanation. They also mentioned links and programs for visualizing electron shells. Finally, they shared some additional resources for understanding electron configuration.
bayan
hi guys.

Today we were doing the shells and subshells in school and I didn't really get the damn thing. I tried to search it on google but had no luck by my side :(

Could someone explain how it is or provide a link please.

Thanx

Chemistry news on Phys.org
bayan said:
Could someone explain how it is or provide a link please.
Try http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/index.pl [Broken]. It helped me when I was in year 11.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found agood explanation of this in 'The Periodic Kingdom' by Peter Atkins There is a link to similar diagrams here :
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/atomorbs.html

There are also various programs that you can download to give 3d visualisations of electron shells to run on your computer since personally I find it impossible to visualise anything that complex without really good animation .

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between shells and subshells?

Shells refer to the main energy levels in an atom, while subshells are the subdivisions within each shell. Shells are labeled with numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.), while subshells are labeled with letters (s, p, d, f).

How many subshells are in each shell?

The number of subshells in each shell corresponds to the value of the shell's number. For example, the first shell (n=1) has one subshell (1s), the second shell (n=2) has two subshells (2s and 2p), and so on.

What is the maximum number of electrons that can be found in a subshell?

The maximum number of electrons in a subshell is determined by the formula 2n^2, where n is the number of the subshell. For example, the 2s subshell can hold a maximum of 8 electrons (2n^2 = 2*2^2 = 8).

How are subshells filled with electrons?

Subshells are filled in a specific order according to the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy. This means that the 1s subshell is filled first, followed by the 2s, 2p, 3s, 3p, 4s, 3d, etc.

How does understanding shells and subshells help explain the properties of elements?

The arrangement of electrons in shells and subshells determines the chemical and physical properties of an element. The number of valence electrons (electrons in the outermost shell) determines an element's reactivity and bonding behavior, while the number of electrons in each subshell affects an element's atomic radius, ionization energy, and electron affinity.