1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shering stress

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The velocity distribution for the floe of a newtonian fluid between 2 wide parallel plates is given by the equation u=3V/2[1-(y/h)^2] where V is the mean velocity. The fluid has a viscosity of 1.915Ns/m^2. When V=0.61m/s and h=5mm, determine:
    A) the shearing stress acting on the bottom wall.
    B) the shearing stress acting on a plane parallel to the wall.
    C) the shearing stress at the centerline.

2. Relevant equations
    ζ=μ du/dy

3. The attempt at a solution
    For C) I worked out u=0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3]
    From that I worked out ζ=1.915 X 0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3] X 1/dy.

I have no idea how to work out B).

I think A) =0 as there is no velocity there? I could be very wrong saying that though.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    Where is the origin of h? Bottom plate, top plate, center?

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    Either bottom or top plate, doesn't make a diff in this question. It's like a radius if you will. It says the flow is symetrical.

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    I hit the h key instead of the y key. Typo. Where is the origin of y?

6. May 10, 2012 #5
    "For C) I worked out u=0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3]
    From that I worked out ζ=1.915 X 0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3] X 1/dy."

How can this be when ζ=μ du/dy?

7. May 10, 2012 #6
    Origin of y is the centerline.

I dunno, I'm really confused. :/

8. May 11, 2012 #7
    Here is some more help. The profile is parabolic with the velocity function given by u=V/2[1-(y/h)^2] where V is the average velocity.

The shear stress is given by:
    S = mu*du/dy which is the viscosity multiplied by the velocity gradient in the direction perpendicular to the flow. If you plot the velocity profile you will note that when y is zero (centerline), the velocity is maximum. Furthermore the fluid velocity is zero at the walls where y= +h or -h. To determine shear, you take the derivative with respect to y. V, the average velocity, is constant.

So all you need to do for part C is take the derivative and plug in the value of y=h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook