Shimming of nose landing gear

• Thread starter stan19
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If i am not wrong, there is shimming damper at aircraft nose gear. Anybody have any idea about whats the device for?

Answers and Replies

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Do you mean a shimmy damper?

Never even heard about it until this thread, but http://www.ae.go.dlr.de/dyn/research/shimmy/anims/shimmy-damper_anim.gif [Broken] a nice animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hadn't heard of it either, thanks Fred/cyrus.

Fred, I assume the device is to dampen out oscillations of the nose wheel after landing, hopefully keeping the craft pointing straight down the runway? Is it supposed to assist in, um, 'sideways' landings made in a crosswind?

Nice animation. Why does the damper say 'lord' on it?!

It was ordained by GOD! :tongue2:

Ah, LORD is a big damper company-thats why.

Apparantly its nothing more than a damper.

Last edited:
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I hadn't heard of it either, thanks Fred/cyrus.

Fred, I assume the device is to dampen out oscillations of the nose wheel after landing, hopefully keeping the craft pointing straight down the runway? Is it supposed to assist in, um, 'sideways' landings made in a crosswind?
AFAIK its main function is to stop high frequency wheel wobble (similar to what you get on a a supermarket trolley) caused by bumps on runways and taxiways, etc. Front wheel steering is what controls the "large-scale" motion of the aircraft on the ground.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Nice animation. Why does the damper say 'lord' on it?!
Lord is a manufacturer that specializes in vibration absorption. They make mounts for engines, drive shaft, etc...

thank you, my mistake, its shimmy damper..

Never even heard about it until this thread, but http://www.ae.go.dlr.de/dyn/research/shimmy/anims/shimmy-damper_anim.gif [Broken] a nice animation.
guyz this video is nt workin.....
if u can pls ...put that link again

thanx

Last edited by a moderator: