Shimming of nose landing gear

• Thread starter stan19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use and purpose of a shimmy damper at the nose gear of an aircraft. The participants discuss its function in dampening out oscillations of the nose wheel after landing and its possible role in crosswind landings. They also mention the manufacturer of the damper, Lord, which specializes in vibration absorption. The conversation also includes a link to a video demonstration of the damper.
stan19
If i am not wrong, there is shimming damper at aircraft nose gear. Anybody have any idea about what's the device for?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean a shimmy damper?

Never even heard about it until this thread, but http://www.ae.go.dlr.de/dyn/research/shimmy/anims/shimmy-damper_anim.gif a nice animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't heard of it either, thanks Fred/cyrus.

Fred, I assume the device is to dampen out oscillations of the nose wheel after landing, hopefully keeping the craft pointing straight down the runway? Is it supposed to assist in, um, 'sideways' landings made in a crosswind?

Nice animation. Why does the damper say 'lord' on it?!

It was ordained by GOD! :tongue2:

Ah, LORD is a big damper company-thats why.

Apparantly its nothing more than a damper.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
I hadn't heard of it either, thanks Fred/cyrus.

Fred, I assume the device is to dampen out oscillations of the nose wheel after landing, hopefully keeping the craft pointing straight down the runway? Is it supposed to assist in, um, 'sideways' landings made in a crosswind?

AFAIK its main function is to stop high frequency wheel wobble (similar to what you get on a a supermarket trolley) caused by bumps on runways and taxiways, etc. Front wheel steering is what controls the "large-scale" motion of the aircraft on the ground.

brewnog said:
Nice animation. Why does the damper say 'lord' on it?!
Lord is a manufacturer that specializes in vibration absorption. They make mounts for engines, drive shaft, etc...

thank you, my mistake, its shimmy damper..

Cyrus said:
Never even heard about it until this thread, but http://www.ae.go.dlr.de/dyn/research/shimmy/anims/shimmy-damper_anim.gif a nice animation.

guyz this video is nt workin...
if u can pls ...put that link again

thanx

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is shimming of nose landing gear?

Shimming of nose landing gear is a process used to adjust the alignment of the nose landing gear of an aircraft. It involves placing thin metal shims between the landing gear components to correct any misalignment and ensure proper functioning of the landing gear.

2. Why is shimming necessary for nose landing gear?

Shimming is necessary for nose landing gear because even small misalignments can lead to uneven weight distribution and increased stress on the landing gear components. This can affect the stability of the aircraft during takeoff and landing, and can even cause damage to the landing gear.

3. How is shimming of nose landing gear done?

The process of shimming nose landing gear involves carefully measuring the alignment of the landing gear components using specialized tools. Based on these measurements, the appropriate shims are selected and placed between the components to correct any misalignment. The process may need to be repeated multiple times until the desired alignment is achieved.

4. Who is responsible for shimming of nose landing gear?

The responsibility for shimming of nose landing gear typically falls on the maintenance or engineering department of an airline or aircraft manufacturer. Trained technicians or engineers are tasked with performing the shimming process to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the landing gear.

5. How often should shimming of nose landing gear be done?

The frequency of shimming nose landing gear depends on various factors such as the type of aircraft, the amount of wear and tear on the landing gear, and any previous shimming adjustments. In general, it is recommended to perform shimming during routine maintenance checks or whenever there is noticeable misalignment or issues with the landing gear.