Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shipping very heavy objects?

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    Shipping very heavy objects???

I need to have a motorcycle engine shipped from FL to NY. I would guess it weighs around 200lbs, maybe less.

What does something like this typically cost???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    Re: Shipping very heavy objects???

You'll probably have to look it up. There are different options depending on how long you mind waiting and such. There may also be an issue with the fact that it is a single object that weighs that much. Most of the site quotes I saw (less than $200) were for multiple boxs weighing in a total of 200lbs.

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3

Thanks.

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It totally depends upon the carrier.
    It might be worth your while to find an acquaintance who travels a lot and offer him/her a few buck to toss it into the trunk for the next trip.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Call a local reputable motorcycle shop and ask for information. They may have ideas.

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Cost can vary, based on how it is packed, too. Some carriers charge less if heavy items are crated and/or palletized so one person with a lift can handle it easily.

8. Jul 5, 2008 #7

Will be looking into it. A motorcycle shop is in fact who's selling it to me.

I really need this engine. I just can't bring myself to drive that far though.

9. Jul 5, 2008 #8

Or maybe make a vacation of it, go to Florida, and then drive back.

10. Jul 5, 2008 #9

Im selling stuff on ebay, and man shipping is the biggest rip off ever. They post office even charged me double the price once because the box was too light.

11. Jul 5, 2008 #10

It does suck; there's no disputing that.

12. Jul 5, 2008 #11

haha, I could probably make a weekend trip out of it, though there'd be no beaches/boating/fishing involved.

13. Jul 5, 2008 #12

Did it have something to do with the size to weight ratio? I can understand if it's a large package and they calculate cost by weight.

14. Jul 5, 2008 #13

Well, don't have it shipped airmail, anyway--

have you tried Amtrak? ---I think they may still do that type of shipping (freight),---or some moving company, or rental truck company that needs to bring vehicles back often from the Florida area.

15. Jul 5, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got a quote to ship my scooter (small 50cc) from Toronto to Vancouver and it rang up at $900-1000.

I hope it's not that pricey for an engine.

16. Jul 5, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

It'd probably be cheaper to ride it. :uhh:

17. Jul 5, 2008 #16

UPS will ship it (200lbs) if it is on a pallet for about $600. That would be three day delivery and they will deliver with a truck that has a lift gate.

An independent trucker would do it a lot cheaper than that if you can find one.

18. Jul 5, 2008 #17

I'll see what this guy ends up quoting me. With the price of fuel these days, I'm willing to bet that would be a $700 trip, if I were to make the drive myself. 2,600 miles round trip.

19. Jul 5, 2008 #18

Evo

A motorcycle shop should have discount business rates for bulk shipping. And if they're selling it, they should be able to ship it for you.

20. Jul 5, 2008 #19

That's what I'm hoping. I haven't been able to contact this guy yet; hopefully monday.

21. Jul 5, 2008 #20

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?