Shipwreck in Baltic Sea? A UFO?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I would bet that the "churned-up track" is just sediment being washed around it by the current.Maybe but it would have to be an awfully strong current down there at 275ft to make such a clear track.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Perhaps a USO - Unidentified Sunken Object. It will be interesting to find out what it is.

A group of treasure hunters based in Stockholm, using sonar, has found a strange disc-shaped object on the floor of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Finland. From above, it looks a bit like the Millennium Falcon of "Star Wars" fame. It's large -- 197 feet in diameter -- and it's in about 275 feet of water. Leading to (or from) it is a churned-up track on the sea floor of about 1,600 feet.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sh...on-disc-shaped/story?id=15471558#.Tyf-iCOkl4s

Physics news on Phys.org
http://laurendate.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/giorgio_blur.jpg

Aliens!

That's obviously Pac Man!

ht_bactic_sonar_mystery_thg_120130_wg.jpg

micromass said:
http://laurendate.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/giorgio_blur.jpg

What's the deal with this guy? I see him as a meme all over the internet.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What's the deal with this guy? I see him as a meme all over the internet.
He stars on a History Channel woo-woo show about ancient aliens. Humans couldn't have built the pyramids, humans couldn't have erected the stones at Stonehenge, etc, etc. I'm not saying that it was aliens, but it was Aliens!

What would the diameter of a submarine (pick a big one) be if you took a cross section through it? Or the stern of an old ship? It could be something up-ended. Might even be cooler if it's something natural.

Moonbear said:
What would the diameter of a submarine (pick a big one) be if you took a cross section through it?

Not even close. Typhoon class sub has a beam of 75ft. Between 2 and 3 times too small.

Moonbear said:
Or the stern of an old ship? It could be something up-ended. Might even be cooler if it's something natural.
I was thinkin' a bulkhead. But round? 200 feet?

A Nimitz class nuclear carrier is only 134 ft beam at the waterline.

This thing is huge.

My thought was a piece of continental shelf that broke off and slid downslope. Except there's no continental shelf in the Baltic Sea.

Last edited:
Hey.

You know what is that big and is found in the Baltic Sea?

Offshore Drilling Platforms.
Here's one, randomly picked, that's 200ft in diameter...

I know. I'm a fun-wrecker.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Hey.

35.jpg

although, I myself just couldn't see that can turn out to be anything exciting

DaveC426913 said:
Hey.

They do have one oil rig on the Russian side. I checked and there is no record of an oil rig disaster. I guess the platform could have sunk while being transported from Sweden? Would they transport just the platform disk by towing? The object is between Sweden and Finland.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
I wonder if it's something as boring as the top of a volcanic plug. I don't know about the Baltic but there are plenty of them around Scotland - any size you like, from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall up to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailsa_Craig
It does look like a rock formation. I would bet that the "churned-up track" is just sediment being washed around it by the current.

Borg said:
It does look like a rock formation. I would bet that the "churned-up track" is just sediment being washed around it by the current.

Maybe but it would have to be an awfully strong current down there at 275ft to make such a clear track. As a diver, I know that without constant work, any non-rigid formations very quickly get smoothed out and disappear.

Is the "track" really churned up, or just a different density or depth?

It's quite obvious.

CylonRaider.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
Hey.

I've never heard of any drilling platforms in the baltic sea. Where did you find that information?

920118 said:
I've never heard of any drilling platforms in the baltic sea. Where did you find that information?

I Googled 'drilling platforms Baltic Sea'. :wink:

Dickfore said:
Just to give a pictorial representation of what was hinted to in the article the OP had linked. For the Trekkies on these fora:
Uh. What exactly are the Trekkies going to do with that picture? Laugh? Spit?

Someone's showing his age ... :rolleyes:

Being Trekkies, they would not know what the MF is.

DaveC426913 said:
I Googled 'drilling platforms Baltic Sea'. :wink:

Hmph... I didn't find it on wikipedia, so it clearly isn't true. :wink:

The only information I'm able to find about drilling platforms in the Baltic sea concerns some platforms in the vicinity of Kaliningrad, but that isn't between Sweden and Finland. Those are also reported to be created in the Kaliningrad area, so it does seem kind of strange that one would end up in the area where the photo was take.

920118 said:
Hmph... I didn't find it on wikipedia, so it clearly isn't true. :wink:

The only information I'm able to find about drilling platforms in the Baltic sea concerns some platforms in the vicinity of Kaliningrad, but that isn't between Sweden and Finland. Those are also reported to be created in the Kaliningrad area, so it does seem kind of strange that one would end up in the area where the photo was take.
Why is it kind of strange? I confess I know nothing about distribution and/or transportation of drilling rigs, but the fact that platforms are in the area is enough for me to consider it plausible. Do you know why there wouldn't be any there? Do you know where their port of first launch is?

But more importantly, however strange it may seem, trying to explain a drilling platform is far easier than most of the other suggestions so far.

DaveC426913 said:
But more importantly, however strange it may seem, trying to explain a drilling platform is far easier than most of the other suggestions so far.

Barring my explanation. The resemblence is remarkable.

DaveC426913 said:
Why is it kind of strange? I confess I know nothing about distribution and/or transportation of drilling rigs, but the fact that platforms are in the area is enough for me to consider it plausible. Do you know why there wouldn't be any there? Do you know where their port of first launch is?

Well, there doesn't seem to be any drilling platforms between Sweden and Finland, (I live in the area, so I'm pretty damn sure of this) and the only ones in the Baltic Sea seem to be pretty far away to the south, and were construced even further to the south. Finland is located northeast from Stockholm, while Kaliningrad is located 350-400 miles to the south-southeast. (For some reason I feel as if I'm too tired to understand your question... I should probably go asleep now)

Well yeah, it seems more plausible. But I'm not very good at being constructive ;)

That "NCC-1701" written on it...what could that mean?

lisab said:
That "NCC-1701" written on it...what could that mean?

That it made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs.

Not to beat the Star Wars thing to death, but it does bear a striking resemblance to:

DeathStar2.jpg

[STRIKE]I live in Sweden, so I have the most authority on this topic. What has been found is a real UFO. It has now been transported to a military facility. Don't ask me where, I am not allowed to reveal the location. Tests are currently being made on the craft. I got this information from a close friend of mine whose brother works in the military. So, in the near future we might have quantum weapons, antigravity, hyperdrives, teleports and psi-equipment. Then you all will fear the mighty Swedes![/STRIKE]
"He stars on a History Channel woo-woo show about ancient aliens. Humans couldn't have built the pyramids, humans couldn't have erected the stones at Stonehenge, etc, etc. I'm not saying that it was aliens, but it was Aliens!"
I've actually seen a couple of those programmes . I wish I didn't. They're full of wild speculations, most of them very easy to debunk. Why isn't there a delete button for my brain? :cry: [STRIKE]Still, the thing that was found in the Baltic Sea is a UFO. I'm 100% sure, I read it on facebook. o:)[/STRIKE]

Edit: I've striked out the things which was supposed to be a joke.

Last edited:
DennisN said:
I live in Sweden, so I have the most authority on this topic. What has been found is a real UFO. It has now been transported to a military facility. Don't ask me where, I am not allowed to reveal the location. Tests are currently being made on the craft. I got this information from a close friend of mine whose brother works in the military. So, in the near future we might have quantum weapons, antigravity, hyperdrives, teleports and psi-equipment.

Then you all will fear the mighty Swedes!

I've actually seen a couple of those programmes . I wish I didn't. They're full of wild and insane speculations, most of them very easy to debunk. Why isn't there a delete button for my brain? :cry: Still, the thing that was found in the Baltic Sea is a UFO. I'm 100% sure, I read it on facebook. o:)
Very funny, but even in S&D we need to keep it serious.

Ok, sorry. Do you want me to edit/delete my post? Edit: Edit: I've striked out the things which was supposed to be a joke.

<h2>1. What evidence is there to support the idea of a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea being a UFO?</h2><p>There is no concrete evidence to support the idea of a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea being a UFO. The supposed "UFO" shape and structure of the shipwreck has been debunked by marine archaeologists who have confirmed that it is a natural formation of rocks and sediment.</p><h2>2. Have any extraterrestrial artifacts been found in the shipwreck?</h2><p>No, there have been no extraterrestrial artifacts found in the shipwreck. The objects that were initially thought to be "alien" were later identified as natural formations or man-made objects.</p><h2>3. Could the shipwreck be a result of a crashed alien spacecraft?</h2><p>There is no evidence to suggest that the shipwreck in the Baltic Sea is a result of a crashed alien spacecraft. The shipwreck has been dated back to the 17th century and is most likely a man-made vessel that sank due to natural causes.</p><h2>4. Has any government or organization investigated the possibility of a UFO shipwreck in the Baltic Sea?</h2><p>There have been no official investigations by governments or organizations into the possibility of a UFO shipwreck in the Baltic Sea. The claims of a UFO shipwreck have been largely dismissed by the scientific community as there is no substantial evidence to support it.</p><h2>5. Are there any theories about why the shipwreck in the Baltic Sea has a strange shape?</h2><p>Some theories suggest that the shipwreck's unusual shape could be due to natural erosion or damage caused by the sinking of the ship. However, there is no evidence to support these theories and it is more likely that the shape is simply a result of the ship's design and construction.</p>

1. What evidence is there to support the idea of a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea being a UFO?

There is no concrete evidence to support the idea of a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea being a UFO. The supposed "UFO" shape and structure of the shipwreck has been debunked by marine archaeologists who have confirmed that it is a natural formation of rocks and sediment.

2. Have any extraterrestrial artifacts been found in the shipwreck?

No, there have been no extraterrestrial artifacts found in the shipwreck. The objects that were initially thought to be "alien" were later identified as natural formations or man-made objects.

3. Could the shipwreck be a result of a crashed alien spacecraft?

There is no evidence to suggest that the shipwreck in the Baltic Sea is a result of a crashed alien spacecraft. The shipwreck has been dated back to the 17th century and is most likely a man-made vessel that sank due to natural causes.

4. Has any government or organization investigated the possibility of a UFO shipwreck in the Baltic Sea?

There have been no official investigations by governments or organizations into the possibility of a UFO shipwreck in the Baltic Sea. The claims of a UFO shipwreck have been largely dismissed by the scientific community as there is no substantial evidence to support it.

5. Are there any theories about why the shipwreck in the Baltic Sea has a strange shape?

Some theories suggest that the shipwreck's unusual shape could be due to natural erosion or damage caused by the sinking of the ship. However, there is no evidence to support these theories and it is more likely that the shape is simply a result of the ship's design and construction.

Back