Shirley MacLaine's contribution to mysticism

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, there is a book and movie titled "Out On A Limb" by Shirley MacLaine, which someone remembers. The conversation discusses the sincerity of MacLaine's beliefs and a discrepancy between the book and movie regarding a scene where she drives without steering. The person has not read the book and is interested in others' opinions on MacLaine's experiences.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone remember Out On A Limb?

http://shirlymaclane.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
out on a limb

I read the book and recently bought the movie. I'm convinced she is sincere. However, there is one thing that puzzles me...the scene where David finds her and drives without steering wasn't in the book. Where did that come from?

Originally posted by Kathy
I read the book and recently bought the movie. I'm convinced she is sincere. However, there is one thing that puzzles me...the scene where David finds her and drives without steering wasn't in the book. Where did that come from?

Hi Kathy :smile:

I was surprised to see this thread pop up. I thought maybe I was the only one who remembered this. I remember being quite shocked by all of this when it first came out. I couldn't believe that the things I heard coming out of her mouth, were coming from her mouth.

I never read the book. Your comment is interesting since the "driving" scene was one of the only ones that implied tangible evidence for the events described. You think she was [is] sincere; do you think that she perceived things correctly? Do you think she might have been fooled?

1. What is Shirley MacLaine's contribution to mysticism?

Shirley MacLaine is an actress and author who has written extensively on her personal experiences and beliefs in mysticism. She has been a vocal advocate for the exploration of spirituality and the bridging of science and mysticism.

2. How has Shirley MacLaine impacted the study of mysticism?

Shirley MacLaine's books, such as "Out on a Limb" and "The Camino", have brought attention to the topic of mysticism and encouraged discussion and research in the field. Her personal experiences and perspectives have also influenced and inspired many individuals to explore their own spirituality.

3. What are some of the key themes in Shirley MacLaine's writings on mysticism?

Shirley MacLaine's writings often explore themes such as past lives, reincarnation, energy healing, and the power of the mind. She also discusses the connection between science and spirituality, and the importance of personal growth and self-discovery.

4. How has Shirley MacLaine's work been received by the scientific community?

Shirley MacLaine's views on mysticism have been met with mixed reactions from the scientific community. While some have criticized her beliefs as unscientific, others have praised her for bringing attention to alternative perspectives and promoting open-mindedness in the study of consciousness.

5. What impact has Shirley MacLaine's contribution to mysticism had on popular culture?

Shirley MacLaine's writings have gained widespread popularity and have been translated into multiple languages. Her perspectives on mysticism have also been featured in television interviews and documentaries, further influencing popular culture and bringing attention to the topic of mysticism.