1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM and angles

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 100g mass on a 1.0m long string is pulled 8.0 degrees to one side and released. How long does it take for the pendulum to reach 4.0 degrees on the opposite side?

2. Relevant equations
    ##T = 2\pi \sqrt\frac{L}{g}##
    ##x(t) = A\cos\omega t##

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the simple pendulum we get ##\omega = \sqrt\frac{g}{L}## which leads to:

##x(t) = A\cos\sqrt g t##

##A = 8.0## and ##x(t) = 4.0## can be substituted directly since it results in the cosine of an angle then:

##\cos\sqrt g t = -0.50##

##t\sqrt g = \frac{4\pi}{3}##

##t = 1.3s##

Which happens to be twice the actual answer. The only possibility for error I see is ##\arccos(-0.5)##.
    What I don't see is why. My reasoning was that since we're looking at 4.0 degrees on the opposite side, the angle must be the second point where cosine is negative, ie. ##\frac{4\pi}{3}##. What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to be careful working in degrees.

I think you've identified the error. How did you evaluate the inverse cosine?

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3
    Because in this case it makes no difference since the division results in a dimensionless figure.

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but I'd be careful. It's an easy way to go wrong. If you draw a graph of cos, you'll see where you've gone wrong.

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5
    There are two possibilities for ##-0.5##, either ##\frac{2\pi}{3}## or ##\frac{4\pi}{3}##. I took the first figure to equate to 4.0 degrees on the side on which the swing started.

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wouldn't that be where ##cos = 0.5##?

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7
    I'm sure that's not the case.

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you're sure?

Can you say where the pendulum is when?

##cos(\omega t) = 1##
    ##cos(\omega t) = 0.5##
    ##cos(\omega t) = 0##
    ##cos(\omega t) = -0.5##
    ##cos(\omega t) = -1##

(All for the first time)

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9
    I just noticed there's a typo in my initial post. It's supposed to be ##x(t) = -4.0## That's where the negative sign comes from.

11. Nov 8, 2015 #10
    I see what you mean here. The pendulum in question hasn't even completed one half of a full cycle. ##\frac{4\pi}{3}## is when it reaches 4.0 for the second time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted