1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM and phase difference

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    Two particles are executing SHM with same amplitude and frequency (but with a phase difference). The maximum separation between them was found to be equal to the amplitude. What is the phase difference. This is a question that I came across.

And I solved it the following way.

Assume one is y1 = A sin (wt) and the other one y2 = A sin (wt + phi)
    max(y1-y2) = A (given)
    Solve for phi.

Since both y1 and y2 are sinusoids of w frequency, their difference will also be a sinusoid with a different amplitude but with same frequency and a different phase.

Since we are just interested in the max value of the difference, I calculated the amplitude of the sinusoid using phasors A e^j(phi) - A. It turned out to be 2A sin(phi/2). From that I calculated phi as pi/3 but the answer I have is as pi/2. I think the book is correct but I could not find the mistake in my calculation.

Can some one point out if I am wrong and if yes, where?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The correct answer is pi/3. The answer in the book is wrong.
  4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    I think I am wrong because the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/2) is A at t=0 itself. I think the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is never A ( which is what is required). I am not able to find a mistake in my method though. Can you tell at what 't' the the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is A? Thanks for your time and effort.
  5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi manjuvenamma,

You can't find a specific time in seconds until you specify [itex]\omega[/itex], but here is one time that works:

[tex]t = \frac{1}{\omega} (2.61799\ \mbox{radians})[/tex]

(So if you just use [itex]\omega t=2.61799[/itex] radians as a whole into your functions you will get the right answer.)

You can find this by solving (after cancelling out the A's) for [itex]t[/itex]:

\sin(\omega t +\pi/3) -\sin(\omega t) = \pm 1
  6. Apr 26, 2008 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Yes, at first glance it may seem so. When particle 1 is at x=0, and particle 2 is at x=A, then their separation is A. But the problem states that the maximum separation is A, which is not true here..

Let us analyze this situation stated above.

Case 1:

2 is at x=A, and 1 is going away from x=0 in the -ve direction. Since the speed of 2 at the extreme point is very small compared to 1, without any calculation we can say that their separation will be more than A for some time after this.

Case 2:

2 is at x=A, and 1 is going toward 2 from x=0, that is, in the +ve direction. We know that when 1 will reach the extreme position, 2 would have come to the mean position x=0. After that, the same argument as in case 1 applies.

As we see, in both of these cases, the maximum separation is more than A.

What you have written in the first post is correct, and the answer is pi/3.
  7. Apr 28, 2008 #6
    Thanks so much, Shooting Star and alphysicist!
    I am now convinced that I am right and I know the correct method too!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?