What Phase Difference Causes Maximum SHM Separation Equal to Amplitude?

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, two particles are executing SHM with same amplitude and frequency (but with a phase difference). The maximum separation between them was found to be equal to the amplitude. What is the phase difference. This is a question that I came across. And I solved it the following way. Assume one is y1 = A sin (wt) and the other one y2 = A sin (wt + phi) max(y1-y2) = A (given) Solve for phi. Since both y1 and y2 are sinusoids of w frequency, their difference will also be a sinusoid with
manjuvenamma
Two particles are executing SHM with same amplitude and frequency (but with a phase difference). The maximum separation between them was found to be equal to the amplitude. What is the phase difference. This is a question that I came across.

And I solved it the following way.

Assume one is y1 = A sin (wt) and the other one y2 = A sin (wt + phi)
max(y1-y2) = A (given)
Solve for phi.

Since both y1 and y2 are sinusoids of w frequency, their difference will also be a sinusoid with a different amplitude but with same frequency and a different phase.

Since we are just interested in the max value of the difference, I calculated the amplitude of the sinusoid using phasors A e^j(phi) - A. It turned out to be 2A sin(phi/2). From that I calculated phi as pi/3 but the answer I have is as pi/2. I think the book is correct but I could not find the mistake in my calculation.

Can some one point out if I am wrong and if yes, where?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is pi/3. The answer in the book is wrong.

I think I am wrong because the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/2) is A at t=0 itself. I think the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is never A ( which is what is required). I am not able to find a mistake in my method though. Can you tell at what 't' the the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is A? Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi manjuvenamma,

You can't find a specific time in seconds until you specify [itex]\omega[/itex], but here is one time that works:

[tex]t = \frac{1}{\omega} (2.61799\ \mbox{radians})[/tex]

(So if you just use [itex]\omega t=2.61799[/itex] radians as a whole into your functions you will get the right answer.)

You can find this by solving (after cancelling out the A's) for [itex]t[/itex]:

[tex]
\sin(\omega t +\pi/3) -\sin(\omega t) = \pm 1
[/tex]

manjuvenamma said:
I think I am wrong because the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/2) is A at t=0 itself. I think the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is never A ( which is what is required). I am not able to find a mistake in my method though. Can you tell at what 't' the the difference between A sin(wt) and A sin (wt+pi/3) is A? Thanks for your time and effort.

Yes, at first glance it may seem so. When particle 1 is at x=0, and particle 2 is at x=A, then their separation is A. But the problem states that the maximum separation is A, which is not true here..

Let us analyze this situation stated above.

Case 1:

2 is at x=A, and 1 is going away from x=0 in the -ve direction. Since the speed of 2 at the extreme point is very small compared to 1, without any calculation we can say that their separation will be more than A for some time after this.

Case 2:

2 is at x=A, and 1 is going toward 2 from x=0, that is, in the +ve direction. We know that when 1 will reach the extreme position, 2 would have come to the mean position x=0. After that, the same argument as in case 1 applies.

As we see, in both of these cases, the maximum separation is more than A.

What you have written in the first post is correct, and the answer is pi/3.

Thanks so much, Shooting Star and alphysicist!
I am now convinced that I am right and I know the correct method too!

1. What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which a system moves back and forth around an equilibrium position, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal (sine or cosine) motion.

2. What is the equation for SHM?

The equation for SHM is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle or phase difference.

3. What is phase difference in SHM?

Phase difference in SHM refers to the difference in the starting position or phase angle between two systems that are undergoing SHM. It is measured in radians and can be used to describe the relationship between two oscillating systems.

4. How is phase difference related to frequency and wavelength?

The phase difference between two SHM systems is directly related to the frequency and wavelength of the motion. The higher the frequency, the smaller the wavelength and the larger the phase difference. Similarly, the lower the frequency, the larger the wavelength and the smaller the phase difference.

5. What is the significance of phase difference in SHM?

Phase difference in SHM is important as it can determine the nature of the resulting motion. When the phase difference is 0 or a multiple of 2π, the systems will be in phase and exhibit constructive interference, resulting in a larger amplitude. When the phase difference is π or a multiple of π, the systems will be out of phase and exhibit destructive interference, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.