How Does SHM Relate to Probability Distributions in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: Then, the probability of finding the particle in an interval dx between the maximum displacements a and -a is given by the ewt P(x)dx=dx/(pi(a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)).
Claire84
Hey there. :smile:

As part of our quantum assignment we;ve to also look at a simple classical oscillator (it's part b to a question about the one dimensional harmonic oscillator). Problem is, I can hardly remember a thing that isn't to do wih quantum! So any help here would be appreciated. We've to find an expession for the velocioty of the particle as a function of positon, and I think I'm going okay with it, it's just the limits that I don't know about (maximum displacements are a and -a).

I've got it down to v(dv/dx)= (-w^2)x which gives me vdv=(-w^2)xdx, but I don't know which way to integrate between the limits. Is the amplitude at the bottom or the top? The example of it I looked at online as x as the upper limit and the amplitude as the bottom one, but I don't get that...

Secondly, we've to (as a result fo the first bit), show that the probability of locating the particle in an interval dx between the maximum displacements a and -a is given by the ewt P(x)dx=dx/(pi(a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)). I'd like to take a stab at it but I don't know how to work out the probability for it - is it related to the probability that we use in quantum mechanics? Sorry, I sound so dumb here but I've no idea how to work out the probability. I've checked the net but to no avail. Please help (it would be much appreciated!)!

Claire

Physics news on Phys.org
Claire84 said:
Hey there. :smile:

Hi, and welcome to PF! :smile:

I've got it down to v(dv/dx)= (-w^2)x which gives me vdv=(-w^2)xdx, but I don't know which way to integrate between the limits. Is the amplitude at the bottom or the top? The example of it I looked at online as x as the upper limit and the amplitude as the bottom one, but I don't get that...

If your initial displacement is the amplitude, then yes the lower limit of integration should be at the bottom. The reason you integrate to an upper limit of x is because you're trying to find a function of x. So, you let the upper limit take on a variable value. If you integrated to another constant, your answer would be a constant.

Secondly, we've to (as a result fo the first bit), show that the probability of locating the particle in an interval dx between the maximum displacements a and -a is given by the ewt P(x)dx=dx/(pi(a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)).

Sorry, what's an "ewt"?

I'd like to take a stab at it but I don't know how to work out the probability for it - is it related to the probability that we use in quantum mechanics?

Short answer: No. You don't calculate it using QM at all.

Longer answer: Sorta. The probability density for the classical SHO is the large-n limit for the probability density of the QM SHO. This must be the case, as per the correspondence principle.

LOL, eqt, not ewt. You've just got to love my typing. ;)

Think I've sorted it out ok-ish now. Discoverd that P(x)=(B^2)/v(x) where B^2 is a constant.

Thanks for your help btw! :)

Claire84 said:
LOL, eqt, not ewt. You've just got to love my typing. ;)

Ha Ha, I thought you were trying to say exp(ωt), and I was wondering how that got in there!

Think I've sorted it out ok-ish now. Discoverd that P(x)=(B^2)/v(x) where B^2 is a constant.

That's right. P(x) is inversely proportional to speed, which makes sense because the faster you are going in an interval from x to x+dx, the less time you spend there, and the less likely it is that you'll be found there.

All you have to do is find B by normalizing P(x) to 1.

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, following a sinusoidal pattern. Examples of SHM include a swinging pendulum or a mass on a spring.

2. How is SHM related to probabilities?

In SHM, the motion of an object is determined by a mathematical equation called a probability distribution. This distribution describes the likelihood of the object being in a particular position at any given time.

3. What factors affect the probability distribution in SHM?

The probability distribution in SHM is affected by the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), frequency (number of oscillations per unit time), and phase (starting point) of the motion. It is also influenced by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

4. How can probabilities be used to predict the behavior of objects in SHM?

By using the probability distribution equation, we can calculate the likelihood of an object being in a specific position at any given time. This allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of the object and understand the overall pattern of its motion.

5. What are the practical applications of SHM and probabilities?

SHM and probabilities have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. They are used to model and predict the behavior of various systems, such as bridges, pendulum clocks, and stock prices. Understanding SHM and probabilities also allows us to make informed decisions and reduce risk in these areas.