SHM and Quantum with gravity

In summary: I should be... I mean, I did run through the translation operator again and realized that it doesn't do what I was hoping, but I did realize a thing or two, namely that I can't make a similar redefinition of the coordinates. I can, however, do this:$$ E_n^{h.o.} = \frac{\hbar ω (2n+1)}{2}$$$$ E_n = \frac{\hbar ω (2n+1)}{2} + mgδ$$$$ = E_n^{h.o.} + \frac{1}{2}mω^2δ^2 + 2mgδ + \frac{3}{2}\frac{
MaxwellsCat

Homework Statement

1. Harmonic Oscillator on Earth Gravity :
In class, we solve the Harmonic Oscillator Problem, with a potential

$$ V(x) = \frac{m ω^2 x^2}{2} \quad (1)$$

with ##ω = \frac{k}{m}## being the classical frequency. Now, assume that x is a vertical direction and that we place the harmonic oscillator close to the Earth surface. Now, if x grows upwards, the potential will be

$$V(x) = \frac{m ω^2 x^2}{2} + mgx + C \quad (2)$$

with ##g = 9.8\frac{m}{s^2}## and C an arbitrary (and irrelevant) constant.

a. First think about the classical problem. The equilibrium point is no longer at ##x = 0##, but a displaced point where the tension and gravity forces are equilibrated. Find that point and rewrite the potential in terms of a new variable representing departures from the equilibrium point. What would be the motion of a classical particle under the potential given in Eq. (2) ?

b. Now think about the quantum problem. Without gravity, the energy eigenvalues are given by ##E_{n}^{h.o.} = \frac{\hbar ω (2n + 1)}{2}## and the corresponding wave functions ##ψ_{n}^{h.o.}(x)## can be written in terms of odd and even Hermite polynomials and a Gaussian function of x (Here h.o. means harmonic oscillator). Using these results, derive the new energy eigenvalues ##E_n## and eigen- functions ##ψ_n## in the presence of gravity, Eq. (2). Hint : Can you make a similar redefinition of the coordinates as you did in the classical case ?

Homework Equations

$$ \hat{H}\,|ψ_n\!> = E_n\,|ψ_n\!> $$
$$ H_{ij} = <\!ψ_i|\,\hat{H}\,|ψ_j\!>$$
$$ \bigg{[}\frac{-{\hbar}^2}{2m} {\partial_x}^2 + \frac{m ω^2 x^2}{2} + mgx\bigg{]} ψ = E_n ψ $$
$$ ψ(x) = f_n(x)\exp{\frac{-ξ^2}{2}} $$
$$ ξ = \sqrt{\frac{m ω}{\hbar}} x $$
$$f_n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{m ω}{\hbar π}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n n!}} H_n(ξ)$$ where ##H_n(ξ)## are the Hermite Polynomials

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I have tried this:
$$V(x) = \frac{1}{2} m ω^2 x^2 + mgx \implies -\partial_x V = -mω^2x - mg $$
For equilibrium, ##F = 0## and so
$$0 = -mω^2x - mg \implies x = \frac{-g}{ω^2} $$
##mg## is constant so define
$$ δ = x + \frac{-g}{ω^2}$$
where x is the old equilibrium position and δ the new.

Am I on the right track or is this just completely wrong? This should be trivial but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

For the second part, I've got and idea that perhaps I can use ##ψ_0## and then define the others in terms of the raising and lowering operators, but the issue comes in actually finding the ##ψ_n## because I'm not sure that I can redefine the coordinates like I did in the classical case, because I don't know if I can/have to redefine ##\hat{p}## in that case. If I don't have to, then it should be the relatively simple case of just applying our good pal Frobenius to the Schrödinger equation and crank it out, but I don't know if that's valid. It should be possible, and I think you should just end up with the same ##ψ## as above, but I'm not sure. I've tried it that way and it obviously works out, you get the same solutions for ##ψ## just in a different variable, but the problem is that ##E_n## also work out to be the same, but there should be an offset term, right? Or can you just say that the offset is your ##mgx## and go? I also thought that if I knew how to write ##\hat{H}## as a matrix that would help immensely because finding eigenvectors is easy, but sadly, I don't - at least not without ##ψ_n##. This last idea I have high hopes for, if I could find out how to actually write the darn matrix!

Physics news on Phys.org
MaxwellsCat said:
For the first part I have tried this:
$$V(x) = \frac{1}{2} m ω^2 x^2 + mgx \implies -\partial_x V = -mω^2x - mg $$
For equilibrium, ##F = 0## and so
$$0 = -mω^2x - mg \implies x = \frac{-g}{ω^2} $$
##mg## is constant so define
$$ δ = x + \frac{-g}{ω^2}$$
where x is the old equilibrium position and δ the new.

Am I on the right track or is this just completely wrong? This should be trivial but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

You are doing fine so far. What happens when you insert ##x = \delta + g/\omega^2## into your potential?

For the second part, I've got and idea that perhaps I can use ##ψ_0## and then define the others in terms of the raising and lowering operators, but the issue comes in actually finding the ##ψ_n## because I'm not sure that I can redefine the coordinates like I did in the classical case, because I don't know if I can/have to redefine ##\hat{p}## in that case. If I don't have to, then it should be the relatively simple case of just applying our good pal Frobenius to the Schrödinger equation and crank it out, but I don't know if that's valid. It should be possible, and I think you should just end up with the same ##ψ## as above, but I'm not sure. I've tried it that way and it obviously works out, you get the same solutions for ##ψ## just in a different variable, but the problem is that ##E_n## also work out to be the same, but there should be an offset term, right? Or can you just say that the offset is your ##mgx## and go? I also thought that if I knew how to write ##\hat{H}## as a matrix that would help immensely because finding eigenvectors is easy, but sadly, I don't - at least not without ##ψ_n##. This last idea I have high hopes for, if I could find out how to actually write the darn matrix!

Are you familiar with how to describe translations using the momentum operator?

Likes MaxwellsCat
Duh, thanks...
$$V(δ) = \frac{1}{2}mω^2(δ+\frac{g}{ω^2})^2 + mg(δ + \frac{g}{ω^2}) = \frac{1}{2}mω^2(δ^2 + \frac{2δg}{ω^2} + \frac{g^2}{ω^4}) + mg(δ + \frac{g}{ω^2})$$
$$ = \frac{1}{2}mω^2δ^2 + mgδ + \frac{1}{2}m\frac{g^2}{ω^2} + mgδ + \frac{mg^2}{ω^2}$$
and so
$$V(δ) = \frac{1}{2}mω^2δ^2 + 2mgδ + \frac{3}{2}\frac{mg^2}{ω^2}$$ for posterity.

Not as such, but wikipedia tells me that it's
$$\hat{T} = exp\bigg{[}\frac{-\imath x \cdot \hat{p}}{\hbar}\bigg{]} \approx 1-\frac{\imath x \cdot \hat{p}}{\hbar}$$ so I should just redefine ##\hat{p}## as ##\imath \hbar (\nabla \hat{T})_{x = 0}##? Then
$$\hat{H} = -\frac{{\hbar}^2}{2m} \bigg{[}\nabla \bigg{(}1-\frac{\imath x \cdot \hat{p}}{\hbar} \bigg{)} \bigg{]}^2 + V$$ with my redefined V - I assume I can use the one that I have above? Further I'd assume that ##\hat{p}## is my original ##-\imath \hbar \nabla##, right? On the right track there?

Due to a wonderful human who already took this class, it was suggested that I simplify ##V(δ)## by one more step:

$$V(δ) = \frac{1}{2} mω^2 \bigg{(}δ + \frac{2g}{ω^2} \bigg{)}^2 -\frac{mg^2}{ω^2}$$

Because then it's just a linear addition to ##\hat{H}## and you get energy eigenvalues that are the same ##E_n = \hbar\,ω (n+\frac{1}{2}) + γ## where γ is just a constant based on the constant offset of ##\hat{H}##.

I'd still like to hear more about how to do this with the translations if someone is willing to help.

Also - I want to make clear that on my last post that 'duh' was supposed to be self-denigrating not insulting to the answerer!

Last edited:

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to Quantum with gravity?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement. Quantum with gravity refers to the study of the behavior of particles at the quantum level in the presence of gravitational fields. SHM and Quantum with gravity are related because SHM is a classical phenomenon, but at the quantum level, particles also exhibit similar oscillatory behavior in gravitational fields.

2. How does gravity affect the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

Gravity affects particles at the quantum level by curving the space-time fabric, which in turn affects the trajectory and behavior of particles. Gravity is described by the theory of general relativity, which takes into account both the curvature of space-time and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. Can SHM occur in a gravitational field?

Yes, SHM can occur in a gravitational field. In fact, the classic example of SHM is a mass on a spring, which experiences a restoring force due to gravity. The motion of the mass follows a sinusoidal pattern, with the force of gravity acting as the restoring force.

4. How do quantum mechanics and general relativity reconcile in the study of SHM in a gravitational field?

The reconciliation of quantum mechanics and general relativity is one of the biggest challenges in modern physics. However, in the study of SHM in a gravitational field, the two theories can be combined using the framework of quantum field theory in curved space-time. This allows for a better understanding of how particles behave in a gravitational field at the quantum level.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying SHM and Quantum with gravity?

Yes, there are practical applications of studying SHM and Quantum with gravity. Understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level in gravitational fields is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, where the effects of gravity on the smallest scales can have significant consequences on the largest scales. Additionally, this knowledge can also be applied in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and quantum sensors.