1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM and Static Friction

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block is on a horizontal surface (a shake table) that is moving back and forth horizontally with simple harmonic motion of frequency 1.3 Hz. The coefficient of static friction between block and surface is 0.59. How great can the amplitude of the SHM be if the block is not to slip along the surface?

2. Relevant equations
    a(t)=-w^2x(t)
    w=2pi*frequency

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the accelerations of the block and the table are goin to be equal because the only horizontal force causing the block's movement is the force of static friction. But i dont know how to set up the problem. any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    bump

could some one give me a direction? am I going in the right direction? i don't want the answer, just some help.

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What's the maximum value of static friction between the surfaces? What acceleration does that correspond to? (Apply Newton's 2nd law to the block.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?