1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shm homework

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the maximum acceleration of a platform that oscillates with an amplitude of 2.70 cm and at a frequency of 6.40 Hz?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]a(t)=-\omega^2x_m\cos{(\omega t=\phi)}[/tex]

[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a(t) will be maximized when a'(t)=0 (or when cosine's argument=1; it works out exactly the same).

So I want [tex]\omega t +\phi=0 or \pi[/tex]. I can shove in (2)(pi)(f) for omega no problem, but I'm stuck with the flipping phase constant. Can I just assume that it's zero??

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2
    Why do you care about what's in the cosine? Just set the cosine equal to one - you know that's the maximum value of the cosine function - and plug into the remaining parts of your acceleration expression.

So you would just need to know that [tex]a_{\mathrm{max}}=\omega^2x_m[/tex] (Note that the cosine is gone because we set it to unity).

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3
    right... :redface: thenks.
    Finals approach and my brain is fried lalalalalalala.Yes, there is a cause-and-effect going on here, although I am not telepathetic (but I do have dark hair...) AAAACK!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?