Why Does Displacing a Charge Lead to Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary: So you must use both of them, not just one.In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a charge in equilibrium at the origin between two identical point charges located on the x-axis. The charge is displaced a small distance and released, resulting in simple harmonic motion with an angular frequency of (4kqQ/(mb^3))^(1/2). One person asks for an explanation of their method for solving the problem, and another person explains that the force on the charge must be compared with the forces of both point charges, not just one, in order to find the correct answer.
CrypticWeirdo

Homework Statement

A charge +q of mass m is free to move along the x axis. It is in equilibrium at the origin, midway between a pair of identical point charges, +Q, located on the x axis at x = +b and x = -b. The charge at the origin is displaced a small distance x << a and released. Show that it can undergo simple harmonic motion with an angular frequency

omega=(4kqQ/(mb^3))^(1/2)

Homework Equations

E=ke(q/r2)
(1+c)n is approximately equal to 1+nc

a=x(omega)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not really asking for a solution per se. I get the question, got the correct answer, how it was done; what I want to know is why my method is wrong.

I got it by first using Coulomb's law to set up a force comparison, between the point-charge in the origin, and one of the point charges next to it. So...

F=kqQ/b2=ma

Where I substituted a for x(omega)^2.

Solving for omega got me close to the correct answer, but my TA could not explain why my method was wrong...so I'm curious why.

My answer was omega=(kqQ/(mb^3))^(1/2)

Any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
CrypticWeirdo said:
I got it by first using Coulomb's law to set up a force comparison, between the point-charge in the origin, and one of the point charges next to it. So...

The charge is in equilibrium at the origin, the forces of repulsion due to two other charges cancel out. You cannot compare with only one other charge. The force on it is due to the other 2 charges.

1. What is SHM in electric fields?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) in electric fields refers to the periodic back-and-forth motion of a charged particle under the influence of an electric field. This motion follows a sinusoidal pattern and is governed by the principles of SHM.

2. What causes SHM in electric fields?

SHM in electric fields is caused by the restoring force exerted on a charged particle by the electric field. This force is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction to the displacement, resulting in oscillatory motion.

3. How does SHM in electric fields differ from SHM in mechanical systems?

While both SHM in electric fields and mechanical systems follow a sinusoidal pattern and are governed by similar equations, the main difference lies in the restoring force. In mechanical systems, the restoring force is typically due to a spring or elastic material, while in electric fields, it is due to the interaction between charged particles.

4. How is the period of SHM in electric fields affected by the charge and mass of the particle?

The period of SHM in electric fields is not affected by the charge or mass of the particle. This is because the equation for the period, T=2π√(m/k), does not include the charge of the particle. However, the amplitude and frequency of SHM in electric fields can be affected by the charge and mass of the particle.

5. Can SHM in electric fields be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, SHM in electric fields has many practical applications. Some examples include the oscillation of charged particles in a mass spectrometer, the motion of electrons in a cathode ray tube, and the vibration of atoms in a crystal lattice. Understanding SHM in electric fields is also crucial in the study of electrical circuits and electromagnetic waves.