What is the velocity of a block in SHM involving a spring after a given time?

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm Spring
In summary, the problem involves a 1.6-kg block attached to a spring on a horizontal frictionless surface, pulled from its equilibrium position and released to execute simple harmonic motion. The velocity of the block at time t = 0.40 s is closest to 0.8m/s. The formula used for this calculation is v = -Aωsin(ωt), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A 1.6-kg block on a horizontal frictionless surface is attached to a spring whose force constant is 190 N/m. The block is pulled from its equilibrium position at x = 0 m to a displacement x = +0.080 m and is released from rest. The block then executes simple harmonic motion along the x-axis (horizontal). The velocity of the block at time t = 0.40 s is closest to:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=√k/m=190/1.6=118.75 rad/s

v=-Aωcos(ωt)

=-0.080*(10.90)cos(10.90*.40)=.30m/s

However the answer is .8m/s

Am I missing a step?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using x = Asin(ωt). But that assumes that at t = 0 the mass is at x = 0.

(Pick a form that starts at maximum displacement.)

I don't quite understand what you are saying,

isnt the maximum displacement .080 which is the amplitude, I am not sure how to incorporate it.

Mdhiggenz said:
v=-Aωcos(ωt)
Where did this come from?

When they say "at time t = 0.40 s" they are measuring the time from the moment it was released, which is the point of maximum displacement.

Which means I use -waSin(wt)

since the graph of sin starts at zero?

Mdhiggenz said:
Which means I use -waSin(wt)

since the graph of sin starts at zero?
Yes.

1. What is SHM involving a spring?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) involving a spring refers to the periodic oscillation of a spring when it is displaced from its equilibrium position and then released.

2. What factors affect the frequency of SHM involving a spring?

The frequency of SHM involving a spring is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

3. How does Hooke's Law relate to SHM involving a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This relationship is crucial in understanding the motion of a spring in SHM.

4. Can the period of SHM involving a spring be changed?

Yes, the period of SHM involving a spring can be changed by altering the mass of the object attached to the spring or by changing the spring constant.

5. What is the equation for the period of SHM involving a spring?

The period of SHM involving a spring can be calculated using the equation T=2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.