What is the physical significance of A and B in mass spring SHM solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses solutions for mass spring shm and the physical significance of A and B in these solutions. It is noted that the general solution contains two constants that are used to set boundary conditions.
Glenn G
Hi community,
I've been looking at solutions for mass spring shm (undamped for now) ie that

x = Acoswt and x = Bcoswt work as solutions for dx2/dt2 = -(k/m)x

and that the general solution is the sum of these that with a trig identity can be written as

x = C Cos(wt - φ) where C is essentially the amplitude (and is given by √(A2 + B2)

My question is the physical significance of A and B in the two separate solutions above (before this youtube video) I've always gone for the solutions as either the Acoswt or Asinwt (with A being the amplitude) depending on where the mass is in its oscillating cycle at time t=0, i.e. would have gone with the coswt one if

x = +A at t=0.

If I let A and B both be A then my factor C (amplitude) comes out as √(2)A where I want it to represent the Amplitude A.

Would really appreciate help.
regards,
Glenn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
(before this youtube video)
Doesn't look like the video link is working...?

Glenn G said:
x = Acoswt and x = Bcoswt work as solutions
and is the 2nd term supposed to be sin()?

berkeman said:
and is the 2nd term supposed to be sin()?
Sorry yes I did mean Bsinwt for the second solution...

In fact I think it is fine, because if you state that x = 0 after quarter of a cycle (so ∏/2 radians) then you get 0 = Bx1 therefore B = 0 (in x = Acoswt + Bsinwt) so the sine term disappears from the general solution anyway and you end up with C = √A^2 = A for the coefficient which is what I wanted.

thanks,
G.

Likes berkeman
Yeah, it just means that the spring doesn't necessarily have zero phase angle at t=0. It's a general way to express a sinusoid that has amplitude and phase information... :smile:

Note that because we start out with a 2nd order differential equation the general solution will contain two constants. They can be A and B, or A and ##\phi##, or whatever. Their physical interpretation is that they set the boundary conditions, for example the initial position and velocity of the oscillator.

Likes berkeman

1. What is SHM mass spring solution?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) mass spring solution refers to the mathematical model and solution for the oscillation of a mass attached to a spring, where the force acting on the mass is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for SHM mass spring solution?

The equation for SHM mass spring solution is given by F = -kx, where F is the force acting on the mass, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How is the period of oscillation determined in SHM mass spring solution?

The period of oscillation in SHM mass spring solution is determined by the mass of the object and the spring constant, which can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

4. How does changing the mass or spring constant affect SHM mass spring solution?

Changing the mass or spring constant in SHM mass spring solution affects the period and amplitude of the oscillation. A larger mass or stiffer spring will result in a longer period, while a smaller mass or more flexible spring will result in a shorter period. The amplitude of the oscillation will also increase with a larger mass or stiffer spring.

5. What are some real-life applications of SHM mass spring solution?

SHM mass spring solution is used in various real-life applications, such as the movement of pendulums, the vibration of guitar strings, and the motion of car suspensions. It is also used in the design of buildings and bridges to ensure they can withstand vibrations caused by earthquakes or strong winds.