1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM Problem

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1

DDS

A mass on a spring with a constant of 3.76 N/m vibrates, with its position given by the equation x = (4.55 cm) cos(3.70t rad/s). During the first cycle, for 0<t<1.70 s, when is the potential energy of the system changing most rapidly into kinetic energy? There are two solutions, enter both with the smaller one first.

B)What is the maximum rate of energy transformation?

I have taken the square of the function given, then i have found the derivate of the sqaured function. I then set the derivate equal to zero in order to find my max and min but i get the wrong answer.

As for b i have no clue where to even start

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

DDS

I have found that

2wt=N(pi)
    t= N(pi)/ 2w

i have arbitrarely pluged in vlaues for pie to find times between my given domain, thus i have resulted with these solutions:

n(0)=0
    n(1)=0.424
    n(2)=0.848
    n(3)=1.27
    n(4)=1.69

if i plug in 5 for n i get a time that is to large for my interval thus these are the for possible times. However i have tried each combination of these times and they do no produce the right answer.

Can sumone please help me solve this problem?

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?