1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM question

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    OK I haven't been given a definite question with values, but how would you find the natural frequency of a system of two pendulums coupled by a spring?

2. Relevant equations
    a= -gx/l
    T=2pi sqrt(l/g)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well the thing is, I know I need to consider each pendulum/spring separately and get two equations of motion, but I'm not sure how. All i know about pendulums are those two equations above. When I've had similar problems with springs I've been able to find the resultant force as a function of x and go from there. But in this case I just came up with the resultant -mgx/l - lamda(x-0.5l) = ma

Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2
    Some thoughts:
    Have you drawn out a picture of the system? Are the pedulums fixed at the same point at the top or are their top points separated by the natural length of the spring?

Then: Can you use free body diagrams to find out the forces on the bobs of the pendulums? What if you displace one bob in the system by a small angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?