1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Shm question

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    i have the following question and i have no idea how to answer it can any please help out...

consider a Mass M which is dropped a height z onto a spring of stiffness k N/m. when the mass hits the spring, the spring will deflect a distance x before the mass stops moving down. show that the distance x is a function of the mass M, acceleration due to gravity g and of stiffness of the spring k.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Is anything conserved?

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    energy both pe and ke

5. May 31, 2010 #4

Doc Al

The total mechanical energy is conserved. Use that to set up an energy equation to solve for X.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    i do not need to solve the equation. i need to find the derivative of the equation. i need to conclude that x is a function of the mass M, acceleration due to gravity g and of stiffness of the spring k.

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Set up the energy balance equation--which will involve x, z, M, g, and k--then you can rearrange to get x as a function of the other parameters. (That's what I mean by 'solving for x'.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook