Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Shm question

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    i have the following question and i have no idea how to answer it can any please help out...

consider a Mass M which is dropped a height z onto a spring of stiffness k N/m. when the mass hits the spring, the spring will deflect a distance x before the mass stops moving down. show that the distance x is a function of the mass M, acceleration due to gravity g and of stiffness of the spring k.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Is anything conserved?

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    energy both pe and ke

5. May 31, 2010 #4

Doc Al

The total mechanical energy is conserved. Use that to set up an energy equation to solve for X.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    i do not need to solve the equation. i need to find the derivative of the equation. i need to conclude that x is a function of the mass M, acceleration due to gravity g and of stiffness of the spring k.

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Set up the energy balance equation--which will involve x, z, M, g, and k--then you can rearrange to get x as a function of the other parameters. (That's what I mean by 'solving for x'.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook