SHM r/R Ratio Question: Solving for Simple Harmonic Motion in a Fixed Trough"

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio Shm
In summary: If a ball radius r rolls along the ground through an angle theta about its own axis, how far has the point of contact with the ground travelled? If now that ground is itself curved up with some radius R>r, what does that distance along the circumference tell you about the angle the point of contact has traveled around the ground's centre of rotation, and how does that relate to theta?
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment for figure)
A small object is mounted to the perimeter of a hoop of radius r. The mass of the object and the hoop is same. The hoop is placed into a fixed semi-cylinder shaped rough trough of radius R, such that small mass is at top. Find the least r/R ratio such that the object performs simple harmonic motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea on how should I begin to solve this problem, this is very different from the SHM problems I have done.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• SHM.jpg
    SHM.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After a rotation by an angle of θ, can you calculate the position of the mass and the circle? Can you calculate the potential energy?

mfb said:
After a rotation by an angle of θ, can you calculate the position of the mass and the circle? Can you calculate the potential energy?

But then, how will I find the angle rotated by the small mass?

What do you mean with "the angle rotated by the small mass"?
Rotate the hoop by an angle θ in your trough, find the new positions of hoop and attached mass with geometry.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "the angle rotated by the small mass"?
Rotate the hoop by an angle θ in your trough, find the new positions of hoop and attached mass with geometry.

(see attachment)
I am having trouble finding the new position of the attached mass. Is angle α=θ?

Attachments

• SHM1.jpg
    SHM1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 649
α=θ would imply that the mass always stays on top. In reality, the hoop rotates quicker.
Hmm, you use a different θ.

I'll switch to your angles:
After rolling a distance of d on the track, the contact position (on the hoop) changed by α=d/r. As seen from the center of the track, the hoop moved by an angle θ=d/R. Putting this together, the point mass is an angle of α-θ = d/r - d/R away from the top of the hoop now.

mfb said:
α=θ would imply that the mass always stays on top. In reality, the hoop rotates quicker.
Hmm, you use a different θ.

I'll switch to your angles:
After rolling a distance of d on the track, the contact position (on the hoop) changed by α=d/r. As seen from the center of the track, the hoop moved by an angle θ=d/R. Putting this together, the point mass is an angle of α-θ = d/r - d/R away from the top of the hoop now.

Nice explanation mfb, thanks! :smile:

I still cannot find the potential energy of the system. (see attachment)
The blue dot represents the CM of hoop and the black dot represents the attached mass. How can I find h?

Attachments

• SHM2.jpg
    SHM2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 571
The blue dot has a fixed distance from the center of the track (which?), and you can use θ...

mfb said:
The blue dot has a fixed distance from the center of the track (which?), and you can use θ...

R-r?

I worked on it to find h, is h=r+rcosθ?

Pranav-Arora said:
R-r?

I worked on it to find h, is h=r+rcosθ?

No, not quite.
It's easier to think in terms of how far the blue dot is below the centre of the hoop. It starts R-r below.

haruspex said:
No, not quite.
It's easier to think in terms of how far the blue dot is below the centre of the hoop. It starts R-r below.

I gave it a try again. This time, I got h=R(1-cosθ)+rcosθ. Is this right?

Pranav-Arora said:
I gave it a try again. This time, I got h=R(1-cosθ)+rcosθ. Is this right?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

What should be my next step?

Can I get some more help?

Your next step should be to think about the problem. In addition, see post 2:
can you calculate the position of the mass and the circle? Can you calculate the potential energy?

mfb said:
Your next step should be to think about the problem. In addition, see post 2:

Potential energy or change in potential energy?

Potential energy (as function of some angle), as I wrote.

An expression for the kinetical energy can be interesting, too, but I think it is not required for the answer.

mfb said:
Potential energy (as function of some angle), as I wrote.

An expression for the kinetical energy can be interesting, too, but I think it is not required for the answer.

Potential energy assuming it is zero at the bottom of the trough is
[tex]U=mgh+mg(h+r\sin(\alpha-\theta))[/tex]
[tex]U=2mgR(1-\cos \theta)+2mgr\cos \theta+mgr\cos(\alpha-\theta)[/tex]
m is the mass of the hoop and the attached mass.

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Potential energy assuming it is zero at the bottom of the trough is
[tex]U=mgh+mg(h+r\sin(\alpha-\theta))[/tex]
[tex]U=2mgR(1-\cos \theta)+2mgr\cos \theta+mgr\sin(\alpha-\theta)[/tex]
m is the mass of the hoop and the attached mass.
Wouldn't r.sin(α-θ) represent a horizontal displacement?

haruspex said:
Wouldn't r.sin(α-θ) represent a horizontal displacement?

Oops, sorry about that.

What should I do next?

First express alpha with theta.

The potential function should have minimum at equilibrium. What is the condition that your U(θ) function has minimum at θ=0?

ehild

ehild said:
First express alpha with theta.

How? :confused:

Do I need to use the relation posted by mfb: α-θ = d/r - d/R ?

What is d?

Think what rolling means. The point where the ball and cylinder touch each other covers equal lengths of arc both of the cylinder and ball. That gives a relation between alpha and theta.

Draw a big circle and cut out a small one, and try.

ehild

ehild said:
What is d?
Rθ?

ehild said:
Think what rolling means. The point where the ball and cylinder touch each other covers equal lengths of arc both of the cylinder and ball. That gives a relation between alpha and theta.

Draw a big circle and cut out a small one, and try.

ehild
I am still clueless. :frown:

Pranav-Arora said:
Rθ?

I am still clueless. :frown:

If a ball radius r rolls along the ground through an angle theta about its own axis, how far has the point of contact with the ground travelled? If now that ground is itself curved up with some radius R>r, what does that distance along the circumference tell you about the angle the point of contact has traveled around the ground's centre of curvature?

Imagine that you paint the inside of a tube with a roller painter. You turn the roller once, till the same part touches the wall again. How long is the painted strip with respect to the circumference of the roller? And how long is it when you roll it only half .. or 3/4?

ehild

Attachments

• rolllincyl.JPG
    rolllincyl.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 441
ehild said:
Imagine that you paint the inside of a tube with a roller painter. You turn the roller once, till the same part touches the wall again. How long is the painted strip with respect to the circumference of the roller?

It is equal to the circumference of roller.

Yes. so if you turn the roller by angle alpha = 2pi the strip is s=(2pi) r long.
If you turn only halfway alpha =1/2*(2pi) the strip is s=pi*r long. If you turn by alpha the strip is s=... long.

But the length of the strip is also s=Rθ, so how are alpha and theta related?

ehild

ehild said:
Yes. so if you turn the roller by angle alpha = 2pi the strip is s=(2pi) r long.
If you turn only halfway alpha =1/2*(2pi) the strip is s=pi*r long. If you turn by alpha the strip is s=... long.

But the length of the strip is also s=Rθ, so how are alpha and theta related?

ehild

s=αr, therefore α=Rθ/r. Should I plug this in the equation I wrote for Potential energy?

Pranav-Arora said:
s=αr, therefore α=Rθ/r. Should I plug this in the equation I wrote for Potential energy?

Yes :)

ehild

The angles are related as (R-r)θ =αr .Arent they ?

Tanya Sharma said:

What do you call alpha?

ehild

α is the angle through which the object has rotated about its axis
θ is the angle through which the CM has rotated about the centre

Tanya Sharma said:

That is not right. The CM moves along a shorter arc as the common point between the cylinder and ball moves.

ehild

ehild said:
That is not right. The CM moves along a shorter arc as the common point between the cylinder and ball moves.

ehild

Yes... you are right...the equation i have written says the same
distance moved by CM =(R-r)θ
distance moved by point on the hoop =αr

I am assuming the hoop rolls without slipping ...