Mass and Coulomb Forces in SHM: Exploring the Role of Mass in Period Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Coulomb's law to find the period of SHM for a system of point particles with electric force. The question arises as to why mass is included in the solution, even though the question ignores gravity and the charges are treated as positive point particles. The person suggests that gravity may need to be included for a long period of time, but the expert believes that having mass constants in the solution is not irregular.
Ronnin
This is a question I already solved but was curious about something. There are two positive point charges of the same maginitude on the same axis. They are some distance appart with third point positive charge placed slightly off the midpoint between the two original charges. The question is to find the period of the SHM. In solving this I basically applied Coulumb's law as the restoring force. After looking at the answer the book gave I noticed it still had a variable for mass included. My question is why would mass even come into play for a system composed of point particles with electric force? If gravity is neglected, couldn't I just apply the the particle's charges in place of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to how the electric force is generally much stronger than the gravitational force, so why we even care about the gravitational force? In general, if I am understanding what you are asking about, you are right and the gravitational force probably won't have much of an effect. Nonetheless, if you want to examine the particle's motion of long periods of time the gravitational force might need to be included; for example, gravity might damp the SHM.

The question ignores gravity and does not even define a mass for any of the charges (they are all treated as positive point particles). The solution in the book still included a "m" for mass as though it would matter for a system such as this one.

Hmm, I would have to see the problem, but I don't see anything irregular with having mass constants in your solutions - particularly if they are in the angular frequency.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

SHM is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction to the displacement. This results in a periodic motion around an equilibrium point.

2. What are Coulomb forces?

Coulomb forces are the electrostatic forces of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. They follow the inverse square law, meaning the force decreases as the distance between the particles increases.

3. How are SHM and Coulomb forces related?

SHM can occur when an object with an electrical charge experiences Coulomb forces. This can happen when the object is placed in an electric field or when it interacts with another charged object.

4. What is the equation for SHM with Coulomb forces?

The equation for SHM with Coulomb forces is F = -kx + kqQ/r2, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, q and Q are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

5. What are some real-life examples of SHM with Coulomb forces?

One example is the motion of a charged particle in a uniform electric field, such as an electron in a cathode ray tube. Another example is the motion of a charged pendulum, where the pendulum bob has a net electrical charge and is attracted or repelled by another charged object.