How Does Initial Velocity Affect SHM Equation for a Mass-Spring System?

• Thread starter lol physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sho Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal massless spring attached to an immovable wall and a 0.45kg mass undergoing simple harmonic motion. The equation for the displacement of the mass as a function of time is deduced and shown to comply with the general form of SHM. The conversation also includes a clarification on why x=x_0cos\omega t was chosen instead of x=x_0sin\omega t and a discussion on how to arrive at the equation for the force acting on the spring.
lol physics

Homework Statement

A horizontal massless spring of spring constant k is attached to a immovable wall at one end and a mass of 0.45kg at the other end. The spring which was not originally under tension, is now extended by 0.18 m by pulling the mass horizontally. The mass was then released by giving it an instantantaneous push in the direction of the extension such that it had an initial velocity of 0.5 ms-1. The mass then undergoes firctionless simple harmonic motion (SHM) at [tex]\omega[/tex] = 2.2 rad s-1. With an explanation of your reasoning:

(i) deduce the equation for the displacement of the mass as a function of time, (2)

(ii) show that your equation complies with the general form of SHM

x(t) = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]ot + [tex]\phi[/tex]) (2)

Physics news on Phys.org
woah why did this get moved? lol this is 2nd year physics :p and i saw a fellow forum user ask about a 1st year physics question in the advance section. no fair ;[

For SHM you can either have x=x0sinwt or x=x0coswt

So why did you pick [itex]x=x_0cos\omega t[/itex] instead of [itex]x=x_0sin\omega t[/itex] ?

rock.freak667 said:
For SHM you can either have x=x0sinwt or x=x0coswt

So why did you pick [itex]x=x_0cos\omega t[/itex] instead of [itex]x=x_0sin\omega t[/itex] ?

I did not pick it that is the second part of the question -.-

lol physics said:
I did not pick it that is the second part of the question -.-

then what exactly did you try in this question? (I ask because you did not post any attempt)

this is not a homework question it is a past exam question and i don't know where to begin. :S

lol physics said:
this is not a homework question it is a past exam question and i don't know where to begin. :S

Well what is the force acting on the spring with extension x? When you get that recall that F=ma and a=d2x/dt2

rock.freak667 said:
Well what is the force acting on the spring with extension x? When you get that recall that F=ma and a=d2x/dt2

force acting on a spring is f = -kx and [tex]\ddot{}x[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]o2x

i know how to arrive to that equation f = - kx but also f = ma therefore ma = -kx re arrange and you get [tex]\ddot{}x[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]o2x

If ma=-kx, then ma+kx=0 and
[tex]
\ddot{}x+\omega^2x=0
[/tex]

So you were off by a negative sign.

Now show that this equation satisfies this condition:

x(t) = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]ot + [tex]\phi[/tex])

In other words, show that the second time derivative of x(t) is indeed equal to [tex]
-\omega^2x
[/tex]

That would show x(t) = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]ot + [tex]\phi[/tex]) is a solution to the differential equation and therefore describes simple harmonic motion.

ideasrule said:
If ma=-kx, then ma+kx=0 and
[tex]
\ddot{}x+\omega^2x=0
[/tex]

So you were off by a negative sign.

Now show that this equation satisfies this condition:

x(t) = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]ot + [tex]\phi[/tex])

In other words, show that the second time derivative of x(t) is indeed equal to [tex]
-\omega^2x
[/tex]

That would show x(t) = Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]ot + [tex]\phi[/tex]) is a solution to the differential equation and therefore describes simple harmonic motion.

the original question asked for an equation as a function of time,
[tex]

\ddot{}x+\omega^2x=0

[/tex]

there is no time in that equation o_O

lol physics said:
the original question asked for an equation as a function of time,
[tex]

\ddot{}x+\omega^2x=0

[/tex]

there is no time in that equation o_O

Yes there is...[tex]x\ddot{}[/tex] is the second derivative of x wrt time

Fightfish said:
Yes there is...[tex]x\ddot{}[/tex] is the second derivative of x wrt time

oh yeah there is

1. Why is the SHO stuck on a simple question?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding or knowledge on the topic, difficulty processing the information, or simply being overwhelmed by the question. It's important to take a step back and approach the question from a different angle or seek help from others.

2. How can I help the SHO if they are stuck on a simple question?

First, try to understand where the SHO is getting stuck and offer guidance or resources to help them better understand the question. You can also try breaking down the question into smaller parts or providing examples to help them grasp the concept. If necessary, seek assistance from a mentor or colleague.

3. Is it common for scientists to get stuck on simple questions?

Yes, it is common for scientists to get stuck on simple questions. Science is a continuous learning process and sometimes even the simplest questions can have complex answers. It's important to have a growth mindset and not be afraid to ask for help when needed.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on simple questions in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on simple questions is to continuously educate yourself and expand your knowledge on various topics. It's also helpful to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, surrounding yourself with a supportive and knowledgeable community can also aid in preventing being stuck on simple questions.

5. Should I feel embarrassed or discouraged if I get stuck on a simple question?

No, you should not feel embarrassed or discouraged if you get stuck on a simple question. Asking questions and seeking help is a vital part of the scientific process. It shows that you are actively trying to understand the topic and improve your knowledge. Embrace the learning process and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.