1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shock absorber thermodynamics

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much energy must the shock absorbers of a 1240 kg car dissipate in order to damp a bounce that initially has a velocity of 0.840 m/s at the equilibrium position? Assume the car returns to its original vertical position.

2. Relevant equations

Fs = -kx

The spring equation is he only thing that comes even close to making sense.

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't know how to even get started, do I use the spring equation or something else. We covered thermodynamics and waves recently so it has to be from there, I just can't find any equation that would work.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A shock absorber is more than just a spring. If it was just a perfect spring then it would not be very useful as you would just keep bouncing around. A shock absorber is basically a damped spring, it is a spring that is lossy in such a way that converts kinetic energy into thermal energy.

So in this case, we have a car that has started to bounce with a given mass and velocity. How much energy will you need to dissipate to stop it's vertical movement?

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Kinetic energy, of course! Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted