Shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction?

In summary: NA&which=prod&what=absorber+hydraulic+shock&navsec=search&heading=75000406In summary, shock absorbers can be found on the market with various capabilities and are commonly used in industry. They can be purchased from various manufacturers and can be found in different types, such as screen door closers, which are cheaper and easier to mount.
BasketDaN
I was just wondering if there are shock absorbers on the market that will allow motion in one direction freely, but resist motion in the opposite direction; thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like the one on a screen door?

Don't forget to remove the spring. I used a screen door closer as a slow-closer on my kids' toybox. With the spring inside, it closed slowly... after first slamming shut like a steel trap! Removing the spring made it work like I wanted it to. Opens easily, closes slowly.

Thanks... do you know if there's a technical name for these things? I need to buy a couple for a project I'm doing for school.

BasketDaN said:
Thanks... do you know if there's a technical name for these things?
Unless you're looking for a specific brand, they're just called 'screen door closers'. Make sure you have the 'screen' type as opposed to a regular closer made for heavier doors. They're a lot cheaper and don't have all of the unnecessary adjustments like back-check and initial and final speed settings. Also, they're easier to mount and are linear rather than rotary in action.

Shock absorbers are made for industry and can be purchased with all sorts of different capabilities. They're used on heavy machinery, industrial equipment, all sorts of different things. Here's a few examples of some manufacturers:
http://www.taylordevices.com/tayd.htm
http://www.enertrols.com/hpm.htm
http://www.energy-kinetics.com/hydra.htm

If you want to find a local manufacturer, try Thomas Register.
http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.ht...ydraulic+shock&navsec=search&heading=75000406

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction?

Shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction are a type of suspension component designed to absorb the impact of bumps and vibrations in a specific direction, typically either up and down or side to side.

2. How do shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction work?

These shock absorbers work by using a piston and fluid system to dampen and absorb the energy from bumps and vibrations in a specific direction. When the shock absorber is compressed, the fluid is forced through small valves, creating resistance and slowing down the movement of the piston.

3. What are the benefits of using shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction?

These shock absorbers can provide improved stability and handling by controlling the movement of the vehicle in a specific direction. They can also help reduce wear and tear on other suspension components, such as tires and springs.

4. Are there any downsides to using shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction?

One potential downside is that these shock absorbers may not provide as much overall damping compared to traditional shock absorbers that resist motion in multiple directions. They also may not be as effective in certain types of terrain or driving conditions.

5. Can shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction be used on any type of vehicle?

Yes, these shock absorbers can be used on a variety of vehicles, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles. However, they may be more commonly found on vehicles that require specific handling and stability, such as race cars or off-road vehicles.