Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shock absorbers that only resist motion in one direction?

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    I was just wondering if there are shock absorbers on the market that will allow motion in one direction freely, but resist motion in the opposite direction; thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2
    You mean like the one on a screen door?

4. May 16, 2005 #3
    Don't forget to remove the spring. I used a screen door closer as a slow-closer on my kids' toybox. With the spring inside, it closed slowly... after first slamming shut like a steel trap! Removing the spring made it work like I wanted it to. Opens easily, closes slowly.

5. May 24, 2005 #4
    Thanks... do you know if there's a technical name for these things? I need to buy a couple for a project I'm doing for school.

6. May 24, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Unless you're looking for a specific brand, they're just called 'screen door closers'. Make sure you have the 'screen' type as opposed to a regular closer made for heavier doors. They're a lot cheaper and don't have all of the unnecessary adjustments like back-check and initial and final speed settings. Also, they're easier to mount and are linear rather than rotary in action.

7. May 24, 2005 #6

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?