Shock from dc current

  • Thread starter samieee
  • Start date
  • #1
67
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have heard that 'we don't get shock from dc current because it is constant but we get shock from ac current because it is alternating'.Is that true? If it is HIGH VOLTAGE DC CURRENT THEN?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
67
0
If the amount of current passing through our body breaks the resistance of it then what we feel is called electric shock isn't it? then I think we must get shock from dc current if the amount is considerably high (that means breaks our resistance)
 
  • #3
5,439
7
Is that true?
Most definitely not true.

Whoever told you this may be referring to a classroom demonstration where someone is invited to touch a single high voltage terminal (for example in a Van der Graff generator), whilst being carefully insulated from the rest of the planet.
This can safely be done by most people.

However as a general rule it is a very bad idea to touch electric terminals.
 
  • #4
702
34
When the voltages / currents are low, low frequency AC is more discernible. However, when you go up in voltage, both become jolting and painful.
High frequency AC (i.e. > 1MHz) gets to where you don't notice shock, but you can get severe penetrating burns before you notice something's happening.
 
  • #5
67
0
though there is debate which one is more dangerous, I think dc is more because ac current will flow through the skin rather than heart due to skin effect
 
  • #6
5,439
7
The skin effect has nothing whatsoever to do with human (or animal) skin.

Sam, please get some proper advice about electrical safety before real harm is done.
 

Related Threads for: Shock from dc current

  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
4K
Replies
7
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
957
Replies
6
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
2K
Top