Shock solution by conservation law

Your name]In summary, the given initial value problem has a shock solution given by u(x,t) = \begin{cases}-1/(1+(x-t)/2) \quad x\leq t \\ 1/(1-(x-t)/2) \quad x>t\end{cases}. This solution is obtained by solving the characteristic equations and substituting the given initial condition.
lhy56839

Homework Statement

I need to find the shock solution for the initial value problem

[tex]u_t-u^2 u_x =0[/tex]

with

[tex]u(x,0)=g(x)=\begin{cases}-\frac{1}{2}\quad x\leq 0 \\ 1\quad 0<x<1 \\ \frac{1}{2} \quad x\geq 0\end{cases} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the conservation law of the form [tex]u_t + \Phi_x = f(x,t)[/tex]

we have

[tex] \Phi^{'}(u)=\frac{[\Phi(u)]}{} [/tex]

The flux [tex]\Phi(u)[/tex] for this problem is given by
[tex]\Phi(u)=-\frac{1}{3}u^3[/tex]
since
[tex]\Phi_x=\Phi^{'}(u)u_x[/tex]

The discontinuity occurs at x=0 and x=1. For the discontinuity at x=0 we have

[tex]-[u(0)]^2 = \frac{[\Phi(u)]}{} = \frac{\frac{1}{3}((-\frac{1}{2})^3-1^3)}{-\frac{1}{2}-1}=\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

and for x=1,

[tex]-[u(1)]^2 = \frac{[\Phi(u)]}{} = \frac{\frac{1}{3}(1^3-(-\frac{1}{2})^3)}{1-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

I am not sure whether I am on the right track or not, and not sure how I obtain the shock solution from this. Any advice or help on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. my suggestion would be to first check if the given initial value problem has a solution or not. This can be done by solving the characteristic equations, which in this case are given by

dx/dt = -1
du/dt = u^2

Solving these equations, we get the characteristic curves as x = -t + C, u = 1/(1-Ct). From the initial condition, we can see that at x=0, u=1/2. Substituting these values in the characteristic curves, we get C=1/2 and u=1/(1-t/2).

Now, we can write the solution as u(x,t) = 1/(1-(x-t)/2). This solution is valid for x<=t. For x>t, we have u(x,t) = -1/(1+(x-t)/2). This solution is valid for x>=t.

Using the given initial condition, we can see that at x=0, u=-1/2. Substituting this value in the solution for x<=t, we get t=1. Similarly, at x=1, u=1/2. Substituting this value in the solution for x>=t, we get t=-1.

Therefore, the shock solution for this initial value problem is given by u(x,t) = \begin{cases}-1/(1+(x-t)/2) \quad x\leq t \\ 1/(1-(x-t)/2) \quad x>t\end{cases}.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a "shock solution" in the context of conservation laws?

A shock solution is a type of solution to a conservation law that involves a discontinuous jump in the physical quantity being conserved. This can occur when the initial conditions of a system cause a sudden change in the quantity being conserved, leading to a sharp transition or "shock" in the solution.

2. What conservation laws are typically involved in shock solutions?

The most common conservation laws involved in shock solutions are the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These laws govern the behavior of physical systems and their solutions can exhibit shocks under certain conditions.

3. How are shock solutions different from other types of solutions to conservation laws?

Unlike smooth solutions, which are continuous and have no abrupt changes, shock solutions involve a sudden jump or discontinuity in the solution. This jump can occur in one or more of the conserved quantities and can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system.

4. Can shock solutions be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, shock solutions can be observed in many real-world systems, such as fluid flow and traffic flow. In these systems, sudden changes in flow rates or speeds can lead to the formation of shocks, which can have important consequences for the overall behavior of the system.

5. How are shock solutions studied and analyzed by scientists?

Shock solutions are typically studied using mathematical models and numerical simulations. These methods allow scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of shock solutions in different systems, and can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of physical systems.