1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shock Wave Cone Problem

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You look directly overhead and see a plane exactly 1.4·km above the ground, flying faster than the speed of sound. By the time you hear the sonic boom, the plane has traveled a horizontal distance of 2.4·km.

(a) Find the angle of the shock wave cone.

(b) Find the speed of the plane (Mach number).

2. Relevant equations
    Sin (shock wave cone angle)=(c/v)

PLane Speed= v/c

v=velocity of source

c=speed of sound

3. The attempt at a solution
    The plane is 1400 meters high. When the shockwave is heard, the plane has travelled 2400 meters horizontally. Sound travels at 343 m/s. 1400/343 gives me 4.08 seconds. 2400/4.08 gives the plane a speed of 588 m/s.

Sin-1(343/588)=35.7 degrees. Of course, I'm here because these are not the correct answers and I don't know why. Any clues as to what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi negatifzeo! :smile:

You're not thinking clearly. :frown:

The sound leaves the plane before it's overhead.

Draw a diagram. There's a right-angled triangle in it. You know one of the angles has sin c/v (which one?). Then use Pythagoras' theorem! :smile:

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    I don't understand. It makes sense that the planr makes a sound before its directly overhead, of course. But how can you solve for sin c/v without knowing the aircraft's speed?

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because v is an unknown, just like x in ordinary algebra equations.

Draw the diagram … use v, or a multiple of v, where you would normally use a number … and you'll get an equation in v (maybe linear, maybe quadratic) … which you can then solve.

Try it (and start with the diagram)! :smile:

6. Jun 23, 2008 #5
    I'm having problems with this question too.

I understand that the angle is Tan-1 (1.4/2.4) = 30.25 degrees

But how do you go about finding the mach number? I also calculated teh speed as 588 m/s, making the Mach speed 1.78, but that wasn't right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?