How to Calculate Shock Wave Cone Angle and Plane Speed in a Sonic Boom Situation

In summary, the conversation was about finding the angle of the shock wave cone and the speed of a plane flying faster than the speed of sound, based on given information about its height and horizontal distance traveled. The correct angle was found to be 30.25 degrees, but there were difficulties in finding the mach number without knowing the aircraft's speed. The method suggested was to draw a diagram and use v as an unknown variable to solve for the mach number. However, there were still difficulties in finding the correct mach number.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

You look directly overhead and see a plane exactly 1.4·km above the ground, flying faster than the speed of sound. By the time you hear the sonic boom, the plane has traveled a horizontal distance of 2.4·km.

(a) Find the angle of the shock wave cone.

(b) Find the speed of the plane (Mach number).

Homework Equations

Sin (shock wave cone angle)=(c/v)

PLane Speed= v/c

v=velocity of source

c=speed of sound

The Attempt at a Solution

The plane is 1400 meters high. When the shockwave is heard, the plane has traveled 2400 meters horizontally. Sound travels at 343 m/s. 1400/343 gives me 4.08 seconds. 2400/4.08 gives the plane a speed of 588 m/s.

Sin-1(343/588)=35.7 degrees. Of course, I'm here because these are not the correct answers and I don't know why. Any clues as to what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi negatifzeo! :smile:

You're not thinking clearly. :frown:

The sound leaves the plane before it's overhead.

Draw a diagram. There's a right-angled triangle in it. You know one of the angles has sin c/v (which one?). Then use Pythagoras' theorem! :smile:

I don't understand. It makes sense that the planr makes a sound before its directly overhead, of course. But how can you solve for sin c/v without knowing the aircraft's speed?

negatifzeo said:
But how can you solve for sin c/v without knowing the aircraft's speed?

Because v is an unknown, just like x in ordinary algebra equations.

Draw the diagram … use v, or a multiple of v, where you would normally use a number … and you'll get an equation in v (maybe linear, maybe quadratic) … which you can then solve.

Try it (and start with the diagram)! :smile:

I'm having problems with this question too.

I understand that the angle is Tan-1 (1.4/2.4) = 30.25 degrees

But how do you go about finding the mach number? I also calculated teh speed as 588 m/s, making the Mach speed 1.78, but that wasn't right.

1. What is a Shock Wave Cone Problem?

A Shock Wave Cone Problem is a mathematical and physical problem that involves studying the characteristics of a shock wave in a fluid medium. It typically involves calculating the shape and properties of the shock wave as it interacts with a cone-shaped object placed in the fluid flow.

2. What causes a Shock Wave Cone Problem?

A Shock Wave Cone Problem is caused by the abrupt change in the properties of a fluid, such as air, when it encounters an object moving through it at supersonic speeds. This change creates a shock wave that propagates outward from the object in a cone-like shape.

3. How is a Shock Wave Cone Problem solved?

A Shock Wave Cone Problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and computational methods, such as computational fluid dynamics. The equations used take into account the properties of the fluid and the shape and velocity of the object to determine the characteristics of the shock wave.

4. What are the applications of studying Shock Wave Cone Problems?

Studying Shock Wave Cone Problems has many practical applications, such as designing supersonic aircraft and spacecraft, understanding the effects of shock waves on structures and materials, and developing new technologies for high-speed transportation and propulsion.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Shock Wave Cone Problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Shock Wave Cone Problems, including the shock waves created by supersonic jets, rockets, and bullets, as well as the shock waves produced during the re-entry of a spacecraft into the Earth's atmosphere. These examples demonstrate the importance of understanding and solving Shock Wave Cone Problems in various fields of science and engineering.