Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shoe Soles

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Hi. It seems that every time I buy a pair of shoes, the soles and the heel of the shoe are the first to go. They usually go long before the rest of the shoe. That said, I would feel kind of odd replacing the whole thing.

What types of replaceable shoe sole insert do you reccommend? I want something that stays put and is comfortable, and lasts for a long time. (also, is there a way to replace or soften the heel?)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You can go to any shoe repair shop and they can add external heel and toe (whatever they are called) things. Preferably have these added when the shoes are still new, if you know you wear these out.

There are tons of inner sole replacements and inserts, just experiment until you find something you like, they're cheap.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A shoe shop can also replace the heel if you wear it out, but it's only worth the cost if you buy expensive shoes.

If you add an inner sole insert to your shoes, keep in mind when trying them on that it will take a little space (ideally, have the insert with you when trying them on). You may need to get a half size bigger if the insert pushes your foot forward or up in the shoe.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    why do women like shoes so much? really

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah seriously... its like if you take a girls shoes away, they'll cut your head off quite literally.

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They keep my feet warm and dry and they don't let you in a lot of buildings if you don't wear shoes (or a shirt).

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What about the psycho ones with 1500 pairs of shoes

And don't give me that "that's an exageration" crap.

9. Oct 13, 2005 #8
    yeah, how many girls have I known that take shopping for shoes as the most satisfying activity one can engage in

10. Oct 13, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah... it must be something like sex is to men. I'm wondering what would happen if you broke into a girls house and stole all her shoes. Think she'd commit suicide?

I do.

11. Oct 13, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: They're psycho. You said it yourself. :biggrin:

I know guys who are more shoe-crazy than I am. One buys a different pair of shoes for each suit he buys, and he owns a LOT of suits! :bugeye: I don't get it.

12. Oct 13, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She'd probably cry to her parents. Shame on you stealing shoes from little girls. :grumpy:

How many GOOBF cards do you have left? You're going to run out of them soon with this topic. :devil:

13. Oct 13, 2005 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't like shoes.

14. Oct 14, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

but what if it was an older girl who lives by herself.... man they'd go nuts i bet :P

15. Oct 14, 2005 #14
    I buy shoes if absolutely forced by the elements. For girls, they get high just looking at them in a store window.
    shoes <-- [​IMG] (girl)

16. Oct 14, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah.. theres this girl I know and im pretty sure she'll put out for some new boots :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: jk

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Girls shouldn't live by themselves, that would be child neglect. You're not a girl anymore if you're old enough to live on your own. :wink: Or did you miss that thread?

I don't even think you've acquired any GOOBF cards. You better start collecting donations of them.

But, seriously, why? Some people collect shoes, some people collect stamps. It doesn't mean all women go nuts about shoes...that's why it's called a stereotype.

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ugh, ok you wanna get all technical on me :P I meant women. And when was there a thread on this? I wanna see.

We're not saying all girls do it... we just wanna know WHY they do it. Hell, why do people collect stamps? why do people gamble? WHY WHY WHY moonbutt :devil:

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18
    Smurf owes me a couple. [​IMG]
    yeah, but shoes are boring. So what's up with girls and them? [​IMG]

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So when you have to put on a suit and go out, you wear your sneakers? Or when you head to the gym, are you wearing your dress shoes? And, if you wear a brown suit, do you wear black shoes? Or would it be brown shoes with the black suit? Oh, wait, that's right, it's just sneakers with everything. Methinks you're either fibbing or very young to have never needed to wear a suit yet.

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I only have 1 pair of shoes that i actually wear.

I have dress shoes however.... but never wear a brown suit so all i need is 1 pair of dress shoes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?