Shoe Soles

  • #1
869
4
Hi. It seems that every time I buy a pair of shoes, the soles and the heel of the shoe are the first to go. They usually go long before the rest of the shoe. That said, I would feel kind of odd replacing the whole thing.

What types of replaceable shoe sole insert do you reccommend? I want something that stays put and is comfortable, and lasts for a long time. (also, is there a way to replace or soften the heel?)
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Evo
Mentor
23,533
3,148
You can go to any shoe repair shop and they can add external heel and toe (whatever they are called) things. Preferably have these added when the shoes are still new, if you know you wear these out.

There are tons of inner sole replacements and inserts, just experiment until you find something you like, they're cheap.
 
  • #3
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
A shoe shop can also replace the heel if you wear it out, but it's only worth the cost if you buy expensive shoes.

If you add an inner sole insert to your shoes, keep in mind when trying them on that it will take a little space (ideally, have the insert with you when trying them on). You may need to get a half size bigger if the insert pushes your foot forward or up in the shoe.
 
  • #4
17
0
why do women like shoes so much? really
 
  • #5
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
Yah seriously... its like if you take a girls shoes away, they'll cut your head off quite literally.
 
  • #6
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
ron damon said:
why do women like shoes so much? really
They keep my feet warm and dry and they don't let you in a lot of buildings if you don't wear shoes (or a shirt).
 
  • #7
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
Moonbear said:
They keep my feet warm and dry and they don't let you in a lot of buildings if you don't wear shoes (or a shirt).

What about the psycho ones with 1500 pairs of shoes

And don't give me that "that's an exageration" crap.
 
  • #8
17
0
Pengwuino said:
What about the psycho ones with 1500 pairs of shoes
And don't give me that "that's an exageration" crap.

yeah, how many girls have I known that take shopping for shoes as the most satisfying activity one can engage in
 
  • #9
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
ron damon said:
yeah, how many girls have I known that take shopping for shoes as the most satisfying activity one can engage in

Yah... it must be something like sex is to men. I'm wondering what would happen if you broke into a girls house and stole all her shoes. Think she'd commit suicide?

I do.
 
  • #10
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
Pengwuino said:
What about the psycho ones with 1500 pairs of shoes
And don't give me that "that's an exageration" crap.
:uhh: They're psycho. You said it yourself. :biggrin:

I know guys who are more shoe-crazy than I am. One buys a different pair of shoes for each suit he buys, and he owns a LOT of suits! :bugeye: I don't get it.
 
  • #11
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
Pengwuino said:
Yah... it must be something like sex is to men. I'm wondering what would happen if you broke into a girls house and stole all her shoes. Think she'd commit suicide?
I do.
She'd probably cry to her parents. Shame on you stealing shoes from little girls. :grumpy:

How many GOOBF cards do you have left? You're going to run out of them soon with this topic. :devil:
 
  • #12
Evo
Mentor
23,533
3,148
I don't like shoes.
 
  • #13
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
Moonbear said:
She'd probably cry to her parents. Shame on you stealing shoes from little girls. :grumpy:

but what if it was an older girl who lives by herself.... man they'd go nuts i bet :P
 
  • #14
17
0
Moonbear said:
:uhh: They're psycho. You said it yourself. :biggrin:
I know guys who are more shoe-crazy than I am. One buys a different pair of shoes for each suit he buys, and he owns a LOT of suits! :bugeye: I don't get it.
I buy shoes if absolutely forced by the elements. For girls, they get high just looking at them in a store window.
shoes <-- (girl)
 
  • #15
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
ron damon said:
I buy shoes if absolutely forced by the elements. For girls, they get high just looking at them in a store window.
shoes <-- (girl)

Yah.. theres this girl I know and im pretty sure she'll put out for some new boots :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: jk
 
  • #16
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
Pengwuino said:
but what if it was an older girl who lives by herself.... man they'd go nuts i bet :P
Girls shouldn't live by themselves, that would be child neglect. You're not a girl anymore if you're old enough to live on your own. :wink: Or did you miss that thread?

ron damon said:
I buy shoes if absolutely forced by the elements. For girls, they get high just looking at them in a store window.
I don't even think you've acquired any GOOBF cards. You better start collecting donations of them.

But, seriously, why? Some people collect shoes, some people collect stamps. It doesn't mean all women go nuts about shoes...that's why it's called a stereotype.

How many pairs of shoes do you own?
 
  • #17
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
Moonbear said:
Girls shouldn't live by themselves, that would be child neglect. You're not a girl anymore if you're old enough to live on your own. :wink: Or did you miss that thread?

Ugh, ok you wanna get all technical on me :P I meant women. And when was there a thread on this? I wanna see.

Moonbear said:
But, seriously, why? Some people collect shoes, some people collect stamps. It doesn't mean all women go nuts about shoes...that's why it's called a stereotype.

We're not saying all girls do it... we just wanna know WHY they do it. Hell, why do people collect stamps? why do people gamble? WHY WHY WHY moonbutt :devil:
 
  • #18
17
0
Moonbear said:
I don't even think you've acquired any GOOBF cards.
Smurf owes me a couple.
But, seriously, why? Some people collect shoes, some people collect stamps. It doesn't mean all women go nuts about shoes...
yeah, but shoes are boring. So what's up with girls and them?
How many pairs of shoes do you own?
1
 
  • #19
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
ron damon said:
1
So when you have to put on a suit and go out, you wear your sneakers? Or when you head to the gym, are you wearing your dress shoes? And, if you wear a brown suit, do you wear black shoes? Or would it be brown shoes with the black suit? Oh, wait, that's right, it's just sneakers with everything. Methinks you're either fibbing or very young to have never needed to wear a suit yet.
 
  • #20
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
I only have 1 pair of shoes that i actually wear.

I have dress shoes however.... but never wear a brown suit so all i need is 1 pair of dress shoes.
 
  • #21
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
Pengwuino said:
I only have 1 pair of shoes that i actually wear.

I have dress shoes however.... but never wear a brown suit so all i need is 1 pair of dress shoes.
Doesn't it sound worse to own shoes you don't wear than to wear a lot of different shoes? :rofl:

Shoes I actually wear...1 pair of black flat shoes that are somewhere between casual and dressy (these are the ones I wear most days), 1 pair of sneakers (can wear with shorts or jeans), 1 pair of brown flat shoes, and one pair of black shoes with high heels, because it's faster to wear those than get around to hemming pants (they also work with skirts).

I have sandals that I wear in summer...two pairs, one tan and one black.

In shoes infrequently worn:
Then there's one pair of black sandals with a heel that are more dressy, and a pair of tan, strappy high heels that have one and only one purpose, and it's not walking. :devil:
 
  • #22
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,009
16
No, i just have 2 pair, the dress and the ones i wear, no others :P
 
  • #23
869
4
Thanks for the...erm...first reply, everybody...:)
 
  • #24
505
0
Moonbear said:
:uhh: They're psycho. You said it yourself. :biggrin:
I know guys who are more shoe-crazy than I am. One buys a different pair of shoes for each suit he buys, and he owns a LOT of suits! :bugeye: I don't get it.

I have had the same pair of shoes for a year and a half now.... and they still aren't completely messed up!:smile:

woot
 
  • #25
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,558
53
moose said:
I have had the same pair of shoes for a year and a half now.... and they still aren't completely messed up!:smile:
woot
That's definitely a difference. Every year or two, I need to buy new shoes because the old ones have begun to fall apart. I think they make men's shoes more durable than women's shoes (or else I'm not as dainty and delicate as they expect me to be with them...I haven't run into any guys willing to throw their cape down over mud puddles so I can avoid walking through them).
 

Related Threads on Shoe Soles

  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
12K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
82
Views
8K
Replies
6
Views
1K
Top