Optimizing Angle for Shooting at a Distance with a Sniper Rifle

• Thread starter taffman123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a first-year university student seeking help with a question on shooting a rifle gun. They discussed using kinematic equations to calculate the angle needed to shoot an object on a building at a certain distance and height. The student also asked about using trigonometric identities to help with the calculations. They eventually got to the point of having a bi-quadratic equation, which they solved using trigonometric identities and substitution. The final answer was not provided.
but i still don't see how that helps me find x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your are correct. You need to get the two trig functions in the same form (sin, cosine, sec, etc.), but at the moment I can't recall any useful trig identities.

i only have learned 2

sinx/cosx = tanx

and sin2x + cos2x = 1

It may be worth venturing into the Math forums and asking about the idents.

have u been able to figure out the answer

or would u be able to explain what hadeijv did ? becuase he is finished

hadeijv squared the whole equation, giving as topsquark says a bi-quadratic. This allowed himto use the ident [itex] \sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1 [/itex] to remove the sin and just leave cosine function.

can i do that in my case as well?

Yes, you are both working on the same problem and using the same equations. Looking at the other thread may give you some hints. Topsquark explained it well.

okay, I am trying to work this out I am at 1500sinx / cosx -15/cos2x - 40 = 0 ... and i do not know where to go form here. and is this correct?