Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Shooting at Charlie Hebdo

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There has been a shooting at the offices of the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

It's crazy what some people can come to if they feel their "beliefs" have been "mocked."

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"At least twelve dead?"

4. Jan 7, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Latest news names the journalists/cartoonists Charb (editor in chief publishing director), Cabu and Wolinski among the victims.

I have no words to express my sadness. This is a great loss. :L

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Jan 7, 2015 #4

Dotini

Gold Member

The statement from the OP article, "The gunmen shouted 'we have avenged the Prophet Muhammad', witnesses say", could be a pointer to the identity and motivations of the killers. But an Australian moderator on another forum said,

"It should be, but it could also be something dreamed up by an extreme right-wing group to stir up anti-Muslim sentiment in France.

Okay, that's an extremely unlikely explanation - the point is that we should wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions. Look at the Sydney siege gunman, who used radical iconography during his attack, but whose motivations had nothing to do with radical Islam."

6. Jan 7, 2015 #5

DrClaude

We won't know the motivations of the killers until tehy get arrested and tried, or they release a statement. But one should use Occam's razor and, if the eyewitness statements are correct, assume that this was religiously motivated. Charlie Hebdo has been targeted in the past.

7. Jan 7, 2015 #6

Dotini

Gold Member

I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree. Millions of Muslims have fled war and deprivation in the Middle East. They will have many motivations and justifications for their actions, religion being only one.

8. Jan 7, 2015 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to agree. I'll have to go with what was reported in the news rather than random internet opinions that strain credibility.

9. Jan 7, 2015 #8
    I am so angry and sad. This along with the North Korea fiasco will be a massive test for the freedom of speech and press in the free worlds.

10. Jan 7, 2015 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is awful. France 24 reports the terrorists shouted, "We avenged the prophet, we killed Charlie Hebdo!" before driving off.

They are mistaken.

Je suis Charlie Hebdo!

11. Jan 7, 2015 #10

Mark44

Sounds religious to me...

12. Jan 7, 2015 #11

Dotini

Gold Member

If they had blown themselves up it would be more convincingly religious. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it would help to catch them and then find the truth?

13. Jan 7, 2015 #12
    I'm afraid nothing short of events like this will be enough to curtail excessive PC practiced nowadays.

Religions are not skin color or shape of your eyes. You are not born with it, you accept its ideas - or decline. Religions are sets of ideas, they are ideologies, and they are not all equally good or evil.

Yet somehow, it is okay to disagree with a political idea (e.g. you can openly critisize Nazism. Or capitalism. Etc), but whenever you criticize a religion, you are labeled "racist".

14. Jan 7, 2015 #13

DrClaude

I don't see what this would have to do with Charlie Hebdo, while I can see why religious fanatics would be angry at them.

15. Jan 7, 2015 #14

russ_watters

IMO, shouting their motivation during the attack is releasing a statement.

16. Jan 7, 2015 #15

DrClaude

Indeed. I have now seen video where they clearly shout "on a vengé le prophète Mohamed" ("we have avenged the prophet Mohamed").

17. Jan 7, 2015 #16

Dotini

Gold Member

Perhaps this article will help to answer your question.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30717728

18. Jan 7, 2015 #17
    Apparently, we are in great danger. Not of being unable to speak freely without running the risk of being gunned down, mind you. We are at great risk of, gasp, "rise in anti-Islam sentiment". It's not allowed to be anti-Islam, you right-wing fascist racist pig you!

Quote from the article: "many feared for the long-term implications for a French society already witness to a steady rise in xenophobic and anti-Islam sentiment"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/07/charlie-hebdo-attack-turning-point-french-politics

19. Jan 7, 2015 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Judge not lest ye be judged by the company of the birds of a feather you flock with."

20. Jan 7, 2015 #19

Dotini

Gold Member

From a friend in Europe I hear,

- French authorities have identified the 3 terrorists.

- Their ages: 18, 32 and 34 years old. Two are brothers and supposedly of French nationality.

- The French edition of Metro reports this.

- More reports are coming out that 2 of them went to Syria this summer.

- Brothers are Cherif and Said K. and the youngest is called Hamyd M.

- Already known by French police and actively involved in recruiting jihadists for the Iraq conflict around 2005. Hamyd M. is a recent arrival.

- The police also raided a house in the northeast of Paris, Pantin, without any arrests made.

21. Jan 7, 2015 #20
    What a vicious and barbaric attack!

I wonder if this madness will ever end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook