Shooting Video on Planet Z Near a Black Hole

In summary, a group of astronauts from Earth recorded a video on planet Z, which is revolving around a black hole. When they played the video on a computer on the planet, it appeared normal. However, when they returned to Earth and played the same video, it appeared to be in slow motion. This is because the speed of a clock in general relativity depends on the region of spacetime it is in, not on its previous locations. This is different from the theory of Weyl gauge, where such effects are permanent. If the video was instead timelapse photography, the playback would be normal on both planet Z and Earth.
hypermental
[Mentor's note: The thread title has been edited to change the level from "A" to the more appropriate "B"]

Suppose there is planet Z revolving around black hole. Astronaut from Earth go in that Planet Z and start video recording and make a DVD . Suppose they played that DVD in the computer in that planet . I hope they will feel every clip i that video is normal. But I think when they come to Earth and play that video clip , i hope it will be slow motion video isn't it? i am little confused.. Help me with your answers please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You posted this as "A" (advanced) level, but it seems more like a "B" (beginner) question. "A" would mean that you wanted an answer at the level of a graduate course or higher.

The DVD and DVD player in your example are basically just a clock. In GR, the speed of a clock does not depend on any memory of what regions of spacetime it has visited. In other words, effects such as kinematic and gravitational time dilation are temporary, not permanent. There was a theory called the Weyl gauge theory in which such effects were permanent, but that theory is not compatible with experiment.

If they broadcast the video out into space, a static observer further away will see it as slow motion. However, if they send the video clip to earth, it will be normal in every way, just as if it were made on earth.

Lets say instead of video it is timelapse photography ... the camera shoots 1 picture every second according to a clock sitting next to it.
To watch at normal speed, play back one-frame per second according to a clock sitting next to it.
The projector on the Earth plays back one frame every second according to a clock sitting next to it... so why would it be slow?

Likes Nugatory
Thanks for all replies . I got it .

1. What is the effect of a black hole on video footage taken on Planet Z?

The gravitational pull of a black hole is extremely strong and can distort light and objects around it. This can cause a noticeable distortion in video footage taken near a black hole on Planet Z.

2. Can a camera survive the extreme conditions near a black hole on Planet Z?

It is highly unlikely that a camera would survive the intense radiation and gravitational forces near a black hole on Planet Z. However, advanced technology and shielding may make it possible to capture footage for a limited amount of time.

3. Will time appear to move differently in the video footage due to the black hole's gravitational pull?

Yes, time dilation is a well-known effect of being near a black hole. This means that time will appear to move slower in the video footage compared to time on Earth.

4. How does the extreme environment near a black hole impact the quality of video footage?

The intense radiation and gravitational forces near a black hole can cause interference and distortions in the video footage. This may result in lower quality footage or even complete loss of signal in some cases.

5. Are there any precautions that need to be taken when shooting video near a black hole on Planet Z?

Yes, it is important to carefully plan and prepare for the extreme conditions near a black hole. This may include using specialized equipment and protective measures to ensure the safety of both the camera and the individuals involved in capturing the footage.