Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Short check on solved ODE problem

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    Hello! I have this problem f'(x)=f(2-x) and I need to find f. This is what I did
    x -> 2-x
    f'(2-x)=f(2-2+x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f'(2-x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f(x) => ##f(x)=c_1e^x+c_2e^{-1}##.

So, ##c_1e^x-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^{2-x}+c_2e^{x-2}## => ##-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^2e^{-x}## => ##-c_2=c_1e^2##. And, similarly, ##c_1=c_2e^{-2}##. So ##-c_2=c_2e^2e^{-2}## => ##c_2=c_1=0## => f(x)=0.

Is this correct? There is another solution? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I see three problems.
    1) You replaced x by 2 -x, but you aren't consistent with this change. If you make a substitution, use a variable with a different name.
    2) From f''(x) = f(x) (which does not follow from the original diff. equation), the general solution should be ##f(x)=c_1e^x+c_2e^{-x}##, which is different from what you have.
    3) In your work below, you solve for the coefficients c1 and c2. Since there are no initial conditions given, there's no way to solve for these constants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted