1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short circuit current

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://postimg.org/image/b8p4rszot/

There is a short circuit between the terminals a-b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so I found the node voltages at 1 and 2, but I don't know how to use these to get the short circuit current...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If the short circuit current is just the current that flows in the a-b wire when terminals a and b are shorted, it would look to inolve the 3A current source and the current through the 16 Ohm resistor...

Attached Files:

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    whats the current through the 16ohm resistor that enters terminal a? is it 3A?

5. Mar 12, 2014 #4

berkeman

Beats me. Show us your KCL equations and your solution of them. We can check your work.

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    http://postimg.org/image/4b0617wj1/

I tried writing KCL equation's at the nodes marked to solve for the short circuit current but they're incomplete since I don't know how to express the current through the 16 ohm resistor entering/exiting those nodes

7. Mar 13, 2014 #6

berkeman

I = V2 / 16 Ohms

8. Mar 14, 2014 #7
    ok thanks

also, does the short circuit current through a-b include anything of the 3A current source?

9. Mar 14, 2014 #8

NascentOxygen

Yes, assume it does and proceed to form the node equations accordingly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted