How do I accurately measure short circuit photocurrent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of short circuit photocurrent in a phototelectrochemical setup. The speaker explains that they have a working electrode, reference electrode, and counter electrode, but it is not possible to measure current between three points. They suggest using a schematic diagram to better understand the setup and recommend using an op-amp circuit to accurately measure the current instead of a digital multimeter. The op-amp circuit involves grounding the non-inverting input, using a calibrated resistor, and hooking the photoelectric device between ground and the inverting output. The direction of the current must be considered when determining the output voltage of the op-amp.
mkbh_10
In my phototelectrochemical setup I have a working electrode, reference electrode and a counter electrode . Now I need to measure the short circuit photocurrent so that I can calculate IPCE (incident photon to photocurrent efficiency). How will I measure this current ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not possible to answer you because you have listed three electrodes. We measure current beteween TWO points, and you've listed three. I can't know what they mean, or what signals they connect to. Can you give us a schematic diagram? Usually a
Digital Multimeter would be used to measure the current.

Last edited:
Actually, you do NOT want to use a digital multimeter. Most digital multimeters pass the current through a shunt resistor and measure the voltage drop. If the meter has good documentation, the amount of this voltage drop will be specified somewhere, but it can often be a tenth of a volt or more, which is enough to affect the output current of many photoelectric devices. To get a good measure of short circuit photocurrent, you want an op-amp circuit designed to force zero voltage across the device--a true short circuit. The most basic such circuit has the non-inverting input of the op-amp grounded, a calibrated resistor between the output and the inverting input, and you hook your photoelectric device up between ground and the inverting output of the op-amp. The two terminals of the device will be at ground and virtual ground, and all of the current from the device will be flowing through the calibrated resistor thanks to negative feedback. The voltage across this calibrated resistor tells you the current. Keep the direction of the current in mind, as that will determine whether the output of the op-amp is trying to go positive or negative. Chose a value for your calibrated resistor such that the largest and the smallest current that you will need to measure result in output voltages for the op-amp that are not too close to the rails.

1. What is short circuit photocurrent?

Short circuit photocurrent is the maximum current that can be produced by a photovoltaic cell when it is connected to a load with no external resistance. It occurs when the voltage across the cell is zero, resulting in the maximum flow of current.

2. How is short circuit photocurrent measured?

Short circuit photocurrent is typically measured by connecting a voltmeter and an ammeter in parallel with the photovoltaic cell. The ammeter measures the current produced by the cell, while the voltmeter measures the voltage across the cell. The current can then be recorded at the point where the voltage is zero, which indicates the short circuit photocurrent.

3. What factors affect short circuit photocurrent?

The short circuit photocurrent of a photovoltaic cell is influenced by several factors, including the intensity of light, the surface area of the cell, the quality of the semiconductor material, and the temperature of the cell. Higher light intensities, larger surface areas, high-quality materials, and lower temperatures can all result in higher short circuit photocurrent values.

4. What is the significance of short circuit photocurrent?

Short circuit photocurrent is an important parameter in the performance of a photovoltaic cell. It is used to calculate the maximum power that can be produced by the cell and is an indicator of the cell's efficiency. It is also used to determine the fill factor, which is a measure of how well the cell converts light into electricity.

5. How can short circuit photocurrent be increased?

There are several ways to increase the short circuit photocurrent of a photovoltaic cell. These include using materials with higher absorption coefficients, increasing the surface area of the cell, and optimizing the cell's design. Additionally, keeping the cell at a lower temperature and using mirrors or lenses to concentrate light onto the cell can also result in higher short circuit photocurrent values.