How Do You Calculate the Location of a Short in an Underground Cable?

In summary, a technician is trying to locate a short in a 4.00 km long underground telephone cable using resistance measurements. The first measurement between terminals AB yields 15.00 Ω and the second measurement across terminals CD yields 105.00 Ω. Assuming uniform diameter, the short is located at a distance of (sigma/A)x from point C, where x is the distance between point P and C. Two equations can be used to find (sigma/A) and x.
Liketothink

Homework Statement

An underground telephone cable, consisting of a pair of wires, has suffered a short somewhere along its length (at point P in the Figure). The telephone cable is 4.00 km long, and in order to determine where the short is, a technician first measures the resistance between terminals AB; then he measures the resistance across the terminals CD. The first measurement yields 15.00 Ω; the second 105.00 Ω. Where is the short? Give your answer as a distance from point C. Assume that the telephone wires are of uniform diameter.

Homework Equations

I'm sure which equations to use.
R=sigmaL/A, I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start on this problem. I know a short circuit is when the resistance is equal to zero, but if it is zero than length ends up being zero due to the linear relationship. I don't get this problem. Please help in any way that you can.

Attachments

• ad9fe98ddb5ae9a992d1c87d515b14707d1cd00fa7e2628af98086cc3138745118a6daa38b699f4a492bbf208a89ad3d.gif
    ad9fe98ddb5ae9a992d1c87d515b14707d1cd00fa7e2628af98086cc3138745118a6daa38b699f4a492bbf208a89ad3d.gif
    694 bytes · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
If AP is nearly equal to BP and is equal to x, Then what is the resistance across AB?
What is the length CP and DP? What is the resistance across CD?

R=sigma(x)/A, but area is not given either. I really don't understand.

there's a short between the 2 conductors in the cable, but the resistance from A to B is not 0 because the current still has to go from A to P and from P to B through a long cable.

you don't know sigma/A, but it's the same everywhere. If point P is x metres from C then the resistance of the wire CP is (sigma/A)x [itex]\Omega[/tex] . the 2 measurements will give you 2 equations that you kan use to find (sigma/A) and x

What is a short circuit problem?

A short circuit problem occurs when there is an abnormal connection between two points in an electrical circuit, causing a sudden and excessive flow of current. This can lead to overheating, damage to components, and even fire.

What causes a short circuit problem?

A short circuit can be caused by various factors, including damaged or faulty wiring, damaged insulation, loose connections, and faulty components. It can also occur due to user error, such as overloading a circuit with too many devices.

How do you identify a short circuit problem?

A short circuit can be identified by several signs, including flickering or dimming lights, tripped circuit breakers, burning smells, and visible damage to wiring or components. A multimeter can also be used to test for a short circuit.

What are the potential dangers of a short circuit problem?

A short circuit can be extremely dangerous as it can lead to electrical fires and damage to equipment. It can also cause injury or electrocution to individuals who come into contact with the faulty circuit. Additionally, a short circuit can disrupt the flow of electricity to other connected circuits, causing damage to other devices.

How can a short circuit problem be prevented?

To prevent short circuit problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical systems, including checking for loose connections and damaged wiring. Using surge protectors and avoiding overloading circuits can also help prevent short circuits. It is also important to use proper safety measures when working with electricity.